Can You Solve This 3D Vector Problem Strictly Through Algebraic Manipulation?

• Thread starter Perion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Vector
I see a sphere.In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving three vectors, r, a, and b, and their dot product. The problem is to show that the equation (r-a) . (r-b) = 0 defines a sphere and to find its radius and center coordinates. After struggling with the algebraic manipulation of the equation, one participant draws a 2D version of the problem and easily sees the solution. They then discuss the relationship between the vectors and how it relates to a sphere. Another participant points out the geometric implications of the dot product being perpendicular and how it leads to a sphere. They also mention the possibility of transforming the origin and how it relates to understanding the problem. The conversation
Perion
Thought someone might enjoy this:

I'm working through my multivariable calc textbook but got stumped for a bit by some fusing algebra (duh). I finally saw the light this morning when I drew a 2D version on paper. Here's the problem:

We are given three vectors, r, a, and b where
r = <x, y, z>
a = <a1, a2, a3>
b = <b1, b2, b3>

Show that the equation (r - a) . (r - b) = 0 (dot product) defines a sphere. Find its radius and its center coordinates.

OK - that seemed pretty straightforward. But, when I plugged the components into the equation I came up with a rather ugly equation that didn't seem to make sense for a sphere nor did it provide me with much insight into the nature of the two vectors a and b.

When I drew the problem (reducing things down to 2D) it wasn't hard to see how it was possible for a and b to determine a sphere and satisfy the dot product condition. Then it was easy to find the center and radius. A not-as-ugly equation for the sphere was then a cinch but it was still ugly enough (to me, anyway) to conceal any obvious equality to the first one. I ended up cheating and used Mathematica to prove that they really were equal :yuck: .

Can you solve this and understand the nature of a and b strictly from algebraic manipulation of the ugly version that you get when you insert the vectors' components into the dot product equation or do you have to make a drawing too?

Perion

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
well if you realize the problem has nothing to do with where the origin is, which follows from the fact that only differences of vectors appear, you can put the oprigin half way between a and b. then the problem becoems to describe the figure defined by (x-a).(x+a) = 0, i.w. |x|^2 = |a|^2, a sphere of radius a, i.e. half the distance between the original two points, and center equal to the midpoint of the line joining them.

but as usual it helps to draw a picture and find out the answer first. Some peopel say even archimedes implied he found his answers first by mechanical models, and then proved them afterwards by geometry.

Last edited:
Do you know linear algebra...?The nasty quadratic form which results could be brought to the standard form of a quadric,in this case,a sphere.

Daniel.

I don't see why you would think the equation is "ugly". Just straight forward calculation gives:
(x- a1)(x-b1)+ (y-a2)(x-b2)+ (z-a3)(z-b3)= 0
x2- (a1+b1)x+ a1b1+ y2- (a2+b2)x+ a2b2+ z2+(a3+ b3)+ a3b3= 0

and the only thing you need to do is note that the quadratic part is x2+ y2+ z2.

dextercioby said:
Do you know linear algebra...?The nasty quadratic form which results could be brought to the standard form of a quadric,in this case,a sphere.

Daniel.
Could you (or someone) show me how to do that for this particular problem?

Thanks
Perion

Move the origin.

Let t = r - (a+b)/2, then the equations are

(t-(a-b)/2) . (t + (a-b)/2) = 0

HallsofIvy said:
I don't see why you would think the equation is "ugly". Just straight forward calculation gives:
(x- a1)(x-b1)+ (y-a2)(x-b2)+ (z-a3)(z-b3)= 0
x2- (a1+b1)x+ a1b1+ y2- (a2+b2)x+ a2b2+ z2+(a3+ b3)+ a3b3= 0

and the only thing you need to do is note that the quadratic part is x2+ y2+ z2.
Straightforward for you (and most everyone else no doubt). For me, it wasn't, as I attempted to force-fit the eq. into the standard form for a sphere. I know this is elementary - I just had better success in visualizing the implications for a and b of <r-a> and <r-b> being orthogonal and also able to completely define a sphere.

Enjoy,
Perion

Good heavens, yes. It just occurred to me! In the plane, a triangle inscribed in a circle so that two vertices are at the ends of a diameter MUST be a right triangle: conversely, any right triangle's circumscribing circle MUST have the hypotenuse of the triangle as diameter.

In 3 dimensions, If the vectors from two given points to a point on a surface are ALWAYS perpendicular, then the three points form a right triangle, so the surface MUST be a sphere and the two points MUST be end points of a diameter. Gosh, that was easy!

Wow! That's REALLY cool halls of ivy. What a great way to look at it.

You are "super mentor" for a reason :)

HallsofIvy said:
Good heavens, yes. It just occurred to me! In the plane, a triangle inscribed in a circle so that two vertices are at the ends of a diameter MUST be a right triangle: conversely, any right triangle's circumscribing circle MUST have the hypotenuse of the triangle as diameter.

In 3 dimensions, If the vectors from two given points to a point on a surface are ALWAYS perpendicular, then the three points form a right triangle, so the surface MUST be a sphere and the two points MUST be end points of a diameter. Gosh, that was easy!
Yeah! Now you got it! That was what occurred to me when I "drew-down" the situation to 2D and "saw" the geometrical implications of <r-a> and <r-b> having to be perpendicular - and why I thought someone else might get a kick out of the problem. 'Twas a much more satisfying result then my original mechanical (boring) algebraic manipulations of expanded vector components and trying to force-fit a bunch of terms into a form of the general equation for a sphere. One other thing - transforming the origin (e.g. to the center) and so on is fine but seems (to me) to assume some prior understanding of what a and b are all about. Or not? Suppose we weren't given the fact that this scalar product should define a sphere?

Perion

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting, I just drew it and I see an optical illusion

1. What is a 3D vector problem?

A 3D vector problem is a mathematical problem that involves working with three-dimensional vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction in three-dimensional space. These problems often require the use of vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication, to solve.

2. How is a 3D vector problem different from a 2D vector problem?

A 3D vector problem involves working with vectors in three dimensions, while a 2D vector problem involves working with vectors in two dimensions. This means that 3D vector problems require an additional component, or direction, to be considered, whereas 2D vector problems only have two components.

3. What are some real-world applications of 3D vector problems?

3D vector problems have many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, they can be used to calculate the trajectory of a projectile, design 3D models, and simulate fluid flow.

4. How do you solve a 3D vector problem?

To solve a 3D vector problem, you can use vector operations such as addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication. You can also use the dot product and cross product to find the angle between two vectors and the magnitude of the resulting vector, respectively.

5. What are some strategies for approaching a 3D vector problem?

One strategy for approaching a 3D vector problem is to visualize the problem in three dimensions, using diagrams or computer software, to better understand the relationships between the vectors. It is also helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and use the properties of vectors to simplify the calculations.