Is it possible to define a basis for the space of continuous functions?

In summary: Try googling "Riemann integration on a function space" for more.The first thing I think you should do is consider a general continuous function in a fixed interval and consider that if it is square integrable (i.e. in L^2) if it has any basis in a Hilbert-Space.If it has a basis, then consider the properties that this basis must have if you want to go deeper.If it doesn't have a basis, then you can still find a basis using the properties of the Hilbert-Space.
Boorglar
In analogy to vector spaces, can we define a set of "basis functions" from which any continuous function can be written as a (possibly infinite) linear combination of the basis functions?

I know the trigonometric functions 1, sin(nx), cos(nx) can be used for monotonic continuous functions, but not every Fourier series leads to a convergent solution (sinx+sin2x+sin3x+... for example diverges).

Is there a set of functions (not necessarily orthogonal) that spans all continuous functions and does not contain divergent series?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Boorglar.

You want to consider a Hilbert-Space and the properties of those along with Banach Spaces in Functional Analysis.

Basically Hilbert-Spaces are continuous in the inner product and Banach Spaces are continuous in the norm: so you can look at these in the context of general functionals and function spaces.

Yes, I've heard about those spaces. But do they actually provide us with such a basis? I mean, is there an infinite set of known functions that span all the Hilbert space?

Boorglar said:
does not contain divergent series?

Why would this be true? You are asking for ##\sum_{i=0}^\infty a_n \, f_n(x)## where ##f_n## are fixed but the coefficients are arbitrary. We can choose ##a_n \rightarrow \infty## at any rate we want, so there must exist a divergent series (unless all f are zero).

pwsnafu said:
Why would this be true? You are asking for ##\sum_{i=0}^\infty a_n \, f_n(x)## where ##f_n## are fixed but the coefficients are arbitrary. We can choose ##a_n \rightarrow \infty## at any rate we want, so there must exist a divergent series (unless all f are zero).

hmm yes I guess you're right.

The reason I ask for that is that I was looking for a way to define integration over a space of functions i.e.: let F be a functional, taking a function and returning a number. Then I want to "integrate" this functional with respect to the function argument.

For example: let F[f] = ∫10f(x)dx. Then somehow divide the space of functions into small function intervals (which might perhaps be done if you had a basis) and do a Riemann sum of the values of the functional taken at some arbitrary function in each interval.

If the function space was simply c*e^x where c is a real number, then I could do the integral of the value of F[ce^x] with respect to c from -infinity to +infinity. (this would be a one-dimensional function space)

Last edited:
Boorglar said:
For example: let F[f] = ∫10f(x)dx. Then somehow divide the space of functions into small function intervals (which might perhaps be done if you had a basis) and do a Riemann sum of the values of the functional taken at some arbitrary function in each interval.

What is a "function interval"? Are we talking about functions defined on an interval of the real number line? Are "function intervals" going to be subintervals of that interval?

If [itex] f(x) = \sum_{i=0}^\infty c_i g_i(x) [/itex] then the natural way to integrate [itex] f(x) [/itex] over an interval such as [0,1] would be to use an expession [itex] \sum_{i=0}^\infty c_i \int_0^1 g_i(x) dx [/itex] rather than to integrate over subintervals. Are you thinking about breaking [0,1] up into subintervals and using a different basis for each subinterval?

How are you defining function? Continuous functions won't be defined analytically in general (although some can be).

The first thing I think you should do is consider a general continuous function in a fixed interval and consider that if it is square integrable (i.e. in L^2) if it has any basis in a Hilbert-Space.

If it has a basis, then consider the properties that this basis must have if you want to go deeper.

I'd look at the first one to "check" that a square integrable function (in L^2(R^n)) over some interval has a basis (any basis) and then you can go from there.

Boorglar said:
hmm yes I guess you're right.

The reason I ask for that is that I was looking for a way to define integration over a space of functions i.e.: let F be a functional, taking a function and returning a number. Then I want to "integrate" this functional with respect to the function argument.

If the function space was simply c*e^x where c is a real number, then I could do the integral of the value of F[ce^x] with respect to c from -infinity to +infinity. (this would be a one-dimensional function space)

Ah you want Riemann integration on a function space. Start with Muldowney's paper on the topic (although this is specific to Black-Scholes). There should be a couple of other papers in the literature. I remember Henstock had a paper for an arbitrary metric-measure space.

1. What is a basis for the space of continuous functions?

A basis for the space of continuous functions is a set of functions that can be used to represent any continuous function within the space. This means that any continuous function within the space can be written as a unique combination of the basis functions.

2. Is it possible to define a finite basis for the space of continuous functions?

No, it is not possible to define a finite basis for the space of continuous functions. This is because the space of continuous functions is infinite-dimensional, meaning that it contains an infinite number of basis functions.

3. How is a basis for the space of continuous functions different from a basis for other vector spaces?

A basis for the space of continuous functions is different from a basis for other vector spaces because the functions in the basis must be continuous. In other vector spaces, the basis functions do not necessarily need to have any specific properties.

4. Can any set of continuous functions be a basis for the space of continuous functions?

No, not every set of continuous functions can be a basis for the space of continuous functions. In order for a set of functions to be a basis, they must have certain properties such as linear independence and spanning the space.

5. How are basis functions chosen for the space of continuous functions?

The choice of basis functions for the space of continuous functions depends on the specific problem or application. In general, the basis functions should be chosen to be as simple and orthogonal as possible in order to make calculations and representations easier.