Trying to understand causes and effects of nuclear reactions and radioactivity

In summary, nuclear plants use uranium for its slightly radioactive properties. The resulting highly radioactive elements from nuclear fission can be dangerous, but the radiation does not spread far unless there is a spill from the reactor. Radioactive waste can potentially be converted into electricity, but there are limitations and challenges. Transmutation of elements is possible, but currently not cost-effective for large-scale use. Controlled fusion reactions may offer more possibilities for transmuting elements in the future.
cshum00
I have been reading a lot about nuclear plants and how when things go wrong the whole area becomes inhabitable. I have been trying to understand certain things but i am not sure. I hope my understanding of it are not filled with self-inflicted misconceptions.

1) Uranium crystals found in nature in general are only slightly radioactive. Does it mean that the uranium radiation is usually not high enough to cause health problems?

2) Is it true that what's actually highly radioactive are the resulting elements uranium's nuclear fission; not uranium itself?

3) Is it true that the radiation of the unstable elements doesn't spread themselves very far? Is it the coolant liquid/gas' spills from the reactor; that carry the radioactive particles far from the source?

4) When people check sites years after radioactive spills have happened, they find that the nearby vegetation and/or objects have become radioactive as well. Does it mean that by leaving a highly radioactive element next to a stable element, the stable element becomes radioactive with time too?

5) Are there chemical reactions to make unstable isotopes of elements to become stable?

6) Isn't there any convert the radioactivity of radioactive wastes into electricity? And therefore at the same time accelerating the process of radioactive decay?

Physics news on Phys.org
1) Uranium crystals found in nature in general are only slightly radioactive. Does it mean that the uranium radiation is usually not high enough to cause health problems?
Uranium can be bad for your health if you eat/drink/inhale something with uranium. Uranium outside your body is usually unproblematic - it emits mainly alpha radiation, which does not reach living cells in your body.
2) Is it true that what's actually highly radioactive are the resulting elements uranium's nuclear fission; not uranium itself?
Right
3) Is it true that the radiation of the unstable elements doesn't spread themselves very far?
Gamma radiation is the most penetrating, but even that can be shielded in a reactor (or some kilometers of air).
Is it the coolant liquid/gas' spills from the reactor; that carry the radioactive particles far from the source?
Or fission material direcly boiling in the reactor, which happened at Chernobyl.
4) When people check sites years after radioactive spills have happened, they find that the nearby vegetation and/or objects have become radioactive as well. Does it mean that by leaving a highly radioactive element next to a stable element, the stable element becomes radioactive with time too?
No, the plants get some fraction of the radioactive nuclei, or radioactive dust spreads over the area.
5) Are there chemical reactions to make unstable isotopes of elements to become stable?
No. Radioactivity is not influenced by chemistry - with electron capture (a possible mode of decay of some isotopes) as an exception, as this depends on nearby electrons.
6) Isn't there any convert the radioactivity of radioactive wastes into electricity? And therefore at the same time accelerating the process of radioactive decay?
Nuclear reactors do that all the time with a part of their waste. There are ideas to transmute the remaining problematic radioactive waste into other elements.

mfb said:
No, the plants get some fraction of the radioactive nuclei, or radioactive dust spreads over the area.
So, if i pick up a rock from a radioactive site. Then I clean up the radioactive dust from using a vacuum cleaner. Then the rock will be back to normal?

mfb said:
Nuclear reactors do that all the time with a part of their waste. There are ideas to transmute the remaining problematic radioactive waste into other elements.
This has brought an interesting perspective which i ignored completely: transmutation of elements. Nuclear reactions is pretty much the alchemist dreams from centuries ago of transmuting elements. Except currently we don't have total control of the resulting elements of the transmutation. And we can only do fission reactions. Maybe in the future, humanity will able to do fusion reactions too. And also have control over what elements to transmute. Then transmuting iron to gold will no longer be just be a concept of the past.

cshum00 said:
So, if i pick up a rock from a radioactive site. Then I clean up the radioactive dust from using a vacuum cleaner. Then the rock will be back to normal?
Probably. Neutron activation is possible, but I would not expect any significant radioactivity based on that unless the rock was in the power plant itself.

This has brought an interesting perspective which i ignored completely: transmutation of elements. Nuclear reactions is pretty much the alchemist dreams from centuries ago of transmuting elements. Except currently we don't have total control of the resulting elements of the transmutation. And we can only do fission reactions. Maybe in the future, humanity will able to do fusion reactions too. And also have control over what elements to transmute. Then transmuting iron to gold will no longer be just be a concept of the past.
Controlled fusion reactions are possible. You can transmute elements into other elements, but it is extremely expensive for extremely small quantities. It is used to produce some radioactive isotopes like Fluorine-18.

1. What is nuclear reaction and how does it differ from regular chemical reactions?

Nuclear reactions involve the breaking apart or joining together of atomic nuclei, while chemical reactions involve the rearrangement of electrons between atoms. Nuclear reactions also release much more energy compared to chemical reactions.

2. What are the main causes of nuclear reactions?

Nuclear reactions can be caused by natural processes, such as radioactive decay, or by artificial means, such as nuclear fission or fusion. They can also be triggered by external factors, like high energy particles or collisions.

3. What are the effects of nuclear reactions and radioactivity on living organisms?

Nuclear reactions can have both positive and negative effects on living organisms. Some radioactive materials can be used in medical treatments, while others can be harmful and cause mutations or damage to cells. Exposure to high levels of radiation can also lead to radiation sickness or even death.

4. How can we control and limit the effects of nuclear reactions?

There are various safety measures in place to control and limit the effects of nuclear reactions. These include shielding materials, strict regulations and protocols, and proper handling and disposal of radioactive materials. Additionally, advancements in technology have allowed for better monitoring and control of nuclear reactions.

5. How do scientists study and understand the causes and effects of nuclear reactions?

Scientists use various techniques and tools, such as particle accelerators and detectors, to study and understand nuclear reactions. They also conduct experiments and simulations to observe and analyze the behavior of nuclear reactions. Additionally, collaborations and sharing of data among scientists help in furthering our knowledge about nuclear reactions and radioactivity.