Calculate 3ph short circuit symmetrical fault, per unit method.

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating three-phase short-circuit fault currents for five busbars using a MVA base of 150MVA and local busbar voltages. Two photos were attached, one showing the calculation for busbar 5 and the other for busbar 2. The person was stuck on calculating the fault current for busbar 2 and asked for help. The suggested approach included breaking down the circuit, calculating equivalent impedances, and using the current divider rule.
bluff_boy

Homework Statement

Calculate the three-phase short-circuit fault currents flowing into all five busbars.

Homework Equations

MVA base = 150MVA
All base voltages were set to the local busbar voltages.

Formulas I have used can be seen in the attached photos.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have attached two photos, the first shows me calculating the short-circuit fault current to busbar 5. I have made a per unit diagram and ignored the j terms as there is not resistance for less hassle. I have simulated this using software and it confirms my answer.

The next photo is the problem I'm stuck on, calculating the short-circuit fault current to busbar 2 (BB2). I get stuck because I can't simplify the circuit anymore to get the X fault per unit value. I have tried to use current and voltage dividers, but can't get anywhere near the answer. I have also simulated this problem and get the answer to be 15.954kA

Any help would be great, and please ask if you need more information.

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2465.jpg
    IMG_2465.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 704
  • IMG_2466.jpg
    IMG_2466.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 678
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your work and progress with us. It seems like you have a good understanding of how to calculate the short-circuit fault currents for most of the busbars. However, I can see why you are stuck on calculating the fault current for busbar 2. It is a more complex circuit and requires a different approach.

Firstly, I would suggest breaking down the circuit into smaller sections and calculating the equivalent impedance for each section. This will help simplify the circuit and make it easier to calculate the fault current.

Next, you can use the formula I = V/Z to calculate the fault current for each section, where V is the voltage at the section and Z is the equivalent impedance.

Finally, you can use the current divider rule to calculate the fault current at busbar 2. The current divider rule states that the current flowing through a branch is inversely proportional to the impedance of that branch. In this case, the branch with the lower impedance will have a higher current flowing through it.

I hope this helps you with your calculations. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck with your work!

Scientist

1. What is a 3ph short circuit symmetrical fault?

A 3ph short circuit symmetrical fault is a type of electrical fault that occurs when all three phases of an electrical system experience a short circuit at the same time.

2. What is the per unit method used for in calculating a 3ph short circuit symmetrical fault?

The per unit method is a technique used in power systems engineering to simplify calculations by expressing all quantities in a common base value. It is particularly useful in calculating symmetrical faults, including 3ph short circuit faults.

3. How do you calculate a 3ph short circuit symmetrical fault using the per unit method?

To calculate a 3ph short circuit symmetrical fault using the per unit method, you will need to first determine the per unit impedance of the system components, including generators, transformers, and transmission lines. Then, using the per unit values, you can use Ohm's law to calculate the fault current.

4. What are the advantages of using the per unit method for calculating 3ph short circuit symmetrical faults?

The per unit method allows for easier and more accurate calculations of fault currents in power systems. It also allows for comparisons to be made between different systems, regardless of their size or voltage levels.

5. Are there any limitations to using the per unit method for calculating 3ph short circuit symmetrical faults?

While the per unit method is a useful tool for calculating fault currents, it does have some limitations. For example, it assumes that the power system is operating at a constant base voltage and frequency, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the per unit method may not account for certain system components, such as distributed generation or complex transformer configurations.