Walking Up Stairs: Climb 34 Steps in 20 Steps?

• Thread starter mapper
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of walking up 34 stairs in 20 steps without skipping or double stepping. The idea of rephrasing the question to make it less obvious and safer when attempting it on an escalator is also mentioned. Walking in the opposite direction of the escalator is not recommended due to the potential danger.
mapper
I can walk up the 34 stairs to the top in 20 steps never jumping/missing a stair and not double stepping. How is that possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stairs of an escalator.

correct, easy i know. I thought of that while i was on my way to work this morning on one. Think we can re-arrange the question so it may not be so obvious but still gives the reader all the logical info they need?

You started on the 14th step ;)

Awsome alkatran! Could reword the question like so:

I can walk up the 34 stairs to the top in 20 steps when done counting. never jumping/missing a stair and not double stepping and not on an escalator. How is that possible?

or something like that. Maybe don't need to say when done counting? Never been good a thinking up new problems like that.

Bob is walking downtown, and finds himself standing at the bottom of 34 steps. He begins climbing the steps. At after twenty steps, he reaches the top. He has not skipped any steps.

Nah, too obvious.

You could also try walking the other way around: Walking 34 steps on a 20 step staircase. (going against the escalator). May be less obvious.

Galileo said:
You could also try walking the other way around: Walking 34 steps on a 20 step staircase. (going against the escalator). May be less obvious.

i would never reccomend that. actually the last part when you are close to the end the real tough part, and i once just managed to escape unhurt, otherwise i would have had it for good.

so, if you want to have fun with an escalator just go in the same direction as the escalator.

1. How many steps are in a typical staircase?

The number of steps in a staircase can vary depending on the height of the building or structure it is in. However, a typical residential staircase has around 12-16 steps, while a public building may have 20-25 steps.

2. How many steps should I climb at a time?

The recommended number of steps to climb at a time is one at a time. This allows for proper balance and reduces the risk of tripping or falling.

3. How long does it take to climb 34 steps?

The time it takes to climb 34 steps can vary depending on the individual's speed and fitness level. However, on average, it takes about 20-30 seconds to climb 34 steps.

4. Is climbing stairs a good form of exercise?

Yes, climbing stairs is a great form of exercise as it engages multiple muscle groups and helps improve cardiovascular health. It can also be a more convenient and cost-effective option than using a gym or equipment.

5. How many calories do you burn climbing 34 steps?

The number of calories burned while climbing 34 steps can vary depending on the individual's weight and intensity. On average, a person weighing 150 pounds can burn around 9 calories climbing 34 steps, while a person weighing 200 pounds can burn around 12 calories.