A basic question about computing this derivative

In summary, the question is about using the fundamental theorem of calculus to compute the derivative of a function E(I,J) with respect to a variable v, and the answer is that the order of integration and differentiation can be interchanged, but the equation given in the question is not correct.
anja.ende
Hello,

This is my first post and I must emphasise that I do not have a science/maths training background and this might be a very basic question. I apologise if it is too basic to belong here.

I have a function defined as follows:

E(I,J) = [itex]\int CC_{p}(I,J)dp[/itex]

Just a little context, I am trying to do some image processing and E is some energy function (based on two images I and J) that needs to be maximised. CC is the cross correlation in an image neighbourhood p and the total energy is given by the summing up these local contributions.

Anyway, to maximise this function with respect to some variable 'v', I need to compute the derivative [itex]\frac{\partial E}{\partial v}[/itex]

My question is can I use the fundamental theorem of calculus and say that

[itex]\frac{\partial E}{\partial v} = \frac{\partial CC_{p}}{\partial v}[/itex]

I get a bit confused about this. I would really appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Anja

Physics news on Phys.org
You can interchange the order of the integration and differentiation and write:
[tex]\frac{\partial E(I,J)}{\partial v} = \frac{\partial}{\partial v}\int CC_p(I,J) dp = \int \frac{\partial CC_p(I,J)}{\partial v} dp[/tex]

But what you wrote is not correct. Does this help?

Yes, thank you!

1. What is a derivative in computing?

A derivative in computing is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of a function at a specific point. It is used to find the slope of a curve and is an essential concept in calculus and computer science.

2. How is a derivative calculated in computing?

A derivative is calculated in computing using a process called differentiation. This involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in input approaches zero. In practical terms, this means using a formula or algorithm to find the slope of a function at a particular point.

3. What is the purpose of computing derivatives?

The purpose of computing derivatives is to understand the behavior of a function and its rate of change. It is used in many applications, such as optimization problems, physics, and engineering, to find the maximum or minimum values of a function and to model real-world phenomena.

4. Can a computer accurately compute derivatives?

Yes, a computer can accurately compute derivatives using numerical methods or symbolic differentiation. Numerical methods involve approximating the derivative by calculating the slope of a small interval, while symbolic differentiation uses algebraic rules to find the derivative of a function.

5. What are some common applications of computing derivatives?

Some common applications of computing derivatives include optimization problems, physics and engineering simulations, financial modeling, and data analysis. It is also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence to improve the performance of algorithms and models.