Metric System vs. Standard System

In summary, many people think that the US will start using the metric system any time soon because Americans are resistant to change, and the Euro has just been introduced in many European countries.
SpaceTiger said:
Heh, yeah. I think changing the base of our numbering system goes into that huge category of things that sound smart and cool to us nerds, but makes no practical sense whatsoever. Sort of like switching everyone to "natural" units.
wow someone finaly said practical, that's what i was thinking all along, might sound good to us but no one suggested an apraoch that would be most practical to the general public.
and 1 country changing is less expensive and less work then over 100 countries to change... my 2 cents

Physics news on Phys.org
ShawnD said:
You mean like feet, inches, and yards?

I mean the ones based on the various Planck scales. Here's a sample website:

http://superstringtheory.com/unitsa.html

Last edited:
" 'E could 'a drawed me off a pint ", grumbled the old man as he settled down behind a glass. " A 'alf litre ain't enough. It don't satisfy. And a 'ole litre's too much. It starts my bladder running. Let alone the price."

And that is all I have to say on the matter. ;-p

SpaceTiger said:
I mean the ones based on the various Planck scales. Here's a sample website:

http://superstringtheory.com/unitsa.html

That is probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen. No foreseeable gain from doing it.

The Rev said:
Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder in France?

Yeah, a Royal Cheese.

http://www.mcdonalds.fr

brewnog said:
Yeah, a Royal Cheese.

http://www.mcdonalds.fr
I think you missed the joke. It's a quote from Pulp Fiction.

ShawnD said:
I think you missed the joke. It's a quote from Pulp Fiction.

Nah, I got it :smile: , I just couldn't remember what it was called. Curiosity got the better of me...

I started getting used to imperial units by playing a British wargame (warhammer). The conversion between inches and cm's isn't hard, but it's easier when it comes natural, which takes practice.

What really disturbes me is that certain units depend on what they are used for. I mean, a stone is a different wheight depending on whether it is meat or liquid you are measuring? :confused: Talk about weird...

Dimitri Terryn said:
What really disturbes me is that certain units depend on what they are used for. I mean, a stone is a different wheight depending on whether it is meat or liquid you are measuring? :confused: Talk about weird...

Avoirdupois ounces (~28g) are for most things, but Troy ounces (~31g) are for gems. A gallon in the UK is 4.54609L. A gallon of dry stuff in the US is 4.404884L. A gallon of wet stuff in the US is 3.785412L. How does anybody keep track of this stuff?

In the US, 16 ounces equals one pound, if it is a solid (weight), but 16 ounces equals 1 pint if it is a liquid (volume), but it would not weigh a pound. So ounces can be either.

I think we should use BCD.

Evo said:
In the US, 16 ounces equals one pound, if it is a solid (weight), but 16 ounces equals 1 pint if it is a liquid (volume), but it would not weigh a pound. So ounces can be either.
Almost. A pint of water weights about .96 pounds. It's probably as close a relationship as you can get, since the units of measure for liquid volume and weight were developed separately.

Being a base 10 system makes the metric system easier to use, but the biggest advantage is correlation between different units of measure. It's easy to convert cubic centimeters to milliliters to liters, volume to mass, etc.

Ivan Seeking said:
I think we should use BCD.
Only for digital. For mechanical and analog devices, Grey Code works much better.