Does sodium ion effect electrolysis of water?

In summary, piezoelectricity may cause ultrasonic vibration energy to be converted into hydrogen by electrolysis of water.
kevin_tee
Does sodium ion effect electrolysis of water? Especially in sodium polyacrylate, which release sodium ion when absorbs water. In other words, if I try to do electrolysis of water in hydrated sodium polyacrylate will it be successful.(Produce hydrogen and ignoring bubble trap inside the gel)

If I understand correctly, Na+ have much less standard electrode potential than H+ so sodium shouldn't be reduce. Meaning electrolysis will produce hydrogen and oxygen regularly, am I right?

Thanks very much

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Yes you are right.In the reactivity series,Na is more
reactive than H.So H+ ions gets discharged more easily.

You are right about products being oxygen and hydrogen, but presence of any other ions (even if they don't react on electrodes) can't be ignored. They change water conductivity (the more the ions, the higher the conductivity), so you need lower voltage to overcome iR loses. That in turn means presence of spectator ions speeds up the electrolysis.

Thank for reply so Na+ ion won't be reduce. How about anion polyacrylate chain, will it be oxidize? Any body have an idea?

It is immobilized, so it doesn't go to electrode. If it were in a direct contact than who knows what would happen.

I believe at least some carboxylic acids can be oxidized to CO2 during electrolysis, but I am not sure.

Thanks to all replies. This help me very much in my science national competition. I will report my finding when I am ready. I research about Conversation of ultrasonic vibration energy into hydrogen by electrolysis of water using piezoelectric property of ZnO in aqueous solution. Thanks.

kevin_tee said:
Thanks to all replies. This help me very much in my science national competition. I will report my finding when I am ready. I research about Conversation of ultrasonic vibration energy into hydrogen by electrolysis of water using piezoelectric property of ZnO. Thanks.
Good luck

1. How does sodium ion affect electrolysis of water?

Sodium ions have no effect on the electrolysis of water. This process involves the decomposition of water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen ions, and the presence of sodium ions does not alter this reaction.

2. Can sodium ion be used as an electrolyte for water electrolysis?

No, sodium ions cannot be used as an electrolyte for water electrolysis. This process requires an electrolyte that can conduct electricity, and sodium ions do not possess this property.

3. Does the addition of sodium ion improve the efficiency of water electrolysis?

No, adding sodium ions does not improve the efficiency of water electrolysis. The efficiency of this process is determined by various factors such as the type of electrolyte, current density, and temperature, but the presence of sodium ions does not play a significant role.

4. What is the role of sodium ion in water electrolysis?

Sodium ions do not have a specific role in water electrolysis. They are simply present in the solution as a result of the dissociation of sodium chloride (salt) in water.

5. Can the presence of sodium ion affect the purity of the products of water electrolysis?

No, the presence of sodium ions does not affect the purity of the products of water electrolysis. The hydrogen and oxygen ions produced during this process are not affected by the presence of sodium ions and remain pure.