Tachyons & Time: Does Faster Mean Before?

• Thread starter Caesar_Rahil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: Earth.1]Tachyons are substances that travel faster than light.2]The speed of light is approximately 300,000km/s (186,000mi/s)3]Tardyons are particles that travel at speeds lower than light4]With increse in speed time slows down.5]Time travel at the speed of light. (from 4)In summary, tachyons are particles that travel faster than light, but their existence is speculative. Gamma for tachyons decreases as velocity increases.
Caesar_Rahil
1]Tachyons are substances that travel faster than light.
2]The speed of light is approximately 3,00,000km/s (1,86,000mi/s)
3]Tardyons are particles that travel at speeds lower than light
4]With increse in speed time slows down.
5]Time travel at the speed of light. (from 4)

***My Question is***
Since, time travels at speed of light and tachyons travel faster than light, tachyons travel faster than time. Does that mean that tachyons are emitted before and event occurs. If it does, then it means that all things were planned out before the formation of the universe. This thing is puzzling me :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
I am dubious of your logic, particularly steps 4 and 5.

However, yes, I believe that tachyons do travel backward in time.

You don't have to worry about time travel though, since they cannot cross the light barrier, they cannot interact with anything moving forward in time, thus no paradox.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:

But their existence is speculative though, since none have been observed.

Caesar_Rahil said:
1]Tachyons are particles that travel faster than light.
2]The speed of light is approximately 300,000km/s (186,000mi/s)

fixed a few things

Caesar_Rahil said:
1]Tachyons are substances that travel faster than light.
2]The speed of light is approximately 3,00,000km/s (1,86,000mi/s)

***My Question is***
Since, time travels at speed of light and tachyons travel faster than light, tachyons travel faster than time. Does that mean that tachyons are emitted before and event occurs. If it does, then it means that all things were planned out before the formation of the universe. This thing is puzzling me :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Is there a reason why you are being this confused and worrying about something that is so far only a mathematical ARTIFACT? I can give you plenty of other things to twist your mind on AND, have been verified to exist.

Zz.

Caesar_Rahil said:
1]

[4] is correct for tardyons, and incorrect for tachyons.
[5] is very confused - I suppose you mean that time dilation goes to infinity as velocity approaches 'c'.

The time dilation factor 'gamma' for tachyons turns out to be imaginary (I'm not sure how to physically interpret this statement).

gamma = 1 / sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)

Note that |gamma| decreases as v increases for tachyons (that's why [4] is wrong).

You might also be interested in the sci.physics.faq about tachyons

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/ParticleAndNuclear/tachyons.html

which makes the bizarre point that while tachyons travel faster than light, they do not necessarily enable one to send information faster than light.

DaveC426913 said:
at FTL, time is imaginary, not negative

1. What are tachyons?

Tachyons are hypothetical particles that travel faster than the speed of light. They have not been observed in experiments, but their existence is predicted by certain theories in physics.

2. How do tachyons relate to time?

According to the theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object. This means that for tachyons, time would appear to move backwards. However, this is purely theoretical and has not been proven.

3. Can tachyons travel through time?

No, tachyons cannot travel through time in the traditional sense. They are believed to only travel in one direction - faster than the speed of light. The concept of time travel is still a topic of debate and has not been proven.

4. Do tachyons violate the laws of causality?

Some theories suggest that tachyons could potentially violate the laws of causality, which state that an effect cannot occur before its cause. However, this is still a matter of speculation and has not been proven.

5. Are tachyons a feasible means of time travel?

As of now, there is no evidence to support the idea of using tachyons as a means of time travel. The concept of tachyons itself is still highly debated and has not been proven to exist. Therefore, it is not considered a feasible means of time travel.