Absolute value and the floor function

In summary, the conversation revolved around the question of what formulas define certain functions. The first question asked if the person had tried looking them up, to which they responded that they had found mostly conceptual explanations and vague references to limits. The second question asked if this was for schoolwork, to which the person replied that they were just curious and beginning to understand enough mathematics to comprehend the formulas. They were then suggested to try Google and Wikipedia, specifically mentioning the pages for absolute value and floor function. The conversation ended with a reminder to also check MathWorld as a potential reference.
Trepidation
What formulas define these functions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
2 questions for you:

1.) Have you tried looking them up?

2.) Is this for your schoolwork?

1) Yes, I've tried looking them up. All I've found, however, are conceptual explanations of what they are and, occasionally, vague and dubious references to limits.

2) Of course not. If my school assigned interesting problems like this, I'd get more out of doing them than hanging around math forums... Heh. No; I'm just curious, because they're exceedingly useful and I'm beginning to understand enough mathematics that I might find the formulas somewhat intelligible.

Trepidation said:
1) Yes, I've tried looking them up. All I've found, however, are conceptual explanations of what they are and, occasionally, vague and dubious references to limits.

You should try Google.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_value

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floor_function

2) Of course not.

Well, it's not so obvious from where I sit. It looks suspiciously like a question that a student would ask to avoid trying to find the definitions on his own. I'd be remiss if I didn't ask.

Oh, I didn't think of wikipedia... Thank you!

Trepidation said:
Oh, I didn't think of wikipedia... Thank you!

Yeah, I should of mentioned what I did: At the end of my Google search string, I typed the word "wikipedia".

The strings I used were:

absolute value function wikipedia

floor function wikipedia

For math, wiki is great. I'd be wary of the physics entries though, because there are some cranks out there who edit the pages to push their own agendas.

In the future, don't forget MathWorld as a possible reference :smile:

1. What is the difference between absolute value and the floor function?

The absolute value of a number is its distance from 0 on the number line. It is always a positive value. The floor function, on the other hand, rounds a number down to the nearest integer.

2. How do you calculate the absolute value of a negative number?

To calculate the absolute value of a negative number, simply remove the negative sign. For example, the absolute value of -5 is 5.

3. What is the purpose of the floor function?

The floor function is often used in programming and mathematics to round down a number to the nearest integer. This can be useful for simplifying calculations or for creating more precise algorithms.

4. Can the absolute value of a number ever be negative?

No, the absolute value of a number is always a positive value. It represents the distance of the number from 0 on the number line, so it cannot be negative.

5. How are absolute value and the floor function used in real life?

Absolute value and the floor function have many real-life applications, such as in calculating distance and speed, rounding measurements, and creating computer algorithms. They are also used in financial calculations, such as calculating interest and determining stock prices.