Lucky Me: Proving the Odds Wrong in Job Interviews

In summary, the speaker was laid off from their job and went to apply at a new company with a friend. They had a successful interview and were hired on the spot. This has happened to them before, making them question how they would react if they were not hired immediately. Their friend did not get the job, but the speaker was praised and loved by the interviewers. They have had similar experiences in the past with being offered jobs quickly.
Gale
Sooo i was laid off yesterday. Went into get my paycheck and they fired me. Gave me a nice long speach about budget and stuff and i was like ok whatever. So i drove over and picked up my friend and brought her to work, they told her she was laid off too, and so i was like want to go apply at shaws? so we both go over to shaws. I end up interviewing with two people because one of them was new, and i made them laugh and stuff and we had a good ole time. Then they were like "oh well your just a doll, can you do a second interview?" so i ask my sister (she was with us too) and friend if they could wait 10 more min cause i had a second interview. So i do the second one, and they hire me on the spot, tell me orientations in a week and say welcome aboard!

Same thing happened at my first job, they hired me right away... SO I'm beginning to think jeeze... how am i going to react if I'm not hired on the spot?!? that's going to be weird... I assume that most people aren't so lucky eh?

Physics news on Phys.org
What about your friend? Did she get a job too? Or did they reject her and now she's pissed off at you? Or did they require you to defeat her in mortal combat to determine which one they hired?

hahahaha, no she wasn't hired. Actually, they even commented that they really had enough people anyways. But they seriously loved me. I probably could have gotten the one lady to loan me money. she thought i was just sooo sweet and cool and everything. And everyone loved my outfit, and we talked about a million obscure things. I must be the best interviewer ever. All of them were like well, i hope once you get settled in i'll get to see how your doing with everything. I'm so awesome...

When we got in the car, my sister and friend just kept making fun of me. It was funny. My friend was just like B*TCH and i laughed, and my lil sister was like, she's always like this, everyone always loves her, she's soo lucky. So it was pretty sweet.

I know exactly what you mean...at my current job, not only did I start working within days of applying, but they gave me 50 cents more an hour than what they advertised. What will I ever do if I try to get a job and they don't bend over backwards to hire me?

People with social skills, puh!
(I can't think of A better word to express digust)

Gale, you may be cut out for politics.

Dirty politicians, puh.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe

I used to want to be a politician... the whole slacker thing though... and you have to work to be a good politician... so yeah... gave up on that idea... thought about lawyer too, but gave up for same reason...

Yeah i really though... what do you do when people aren't dying to have you work for them... i know people say that happens... but i dunno.

...oh and thanks for all the sympathy about losing my old job...

It's not your dream job, I presume, so it's no biggie, right? :smile:

Happy Birthday!
:smile: :smile:

i got very lucky with my current job...summer of 2002, my boss at my old job gave me squat for a raise when i was given a ton more responsibility...so, that day i looked in the paper, applied for the first job i thought i could be qualified for, and within 15 minutes my prospective boss called me for an interview...once i interviewed for it (a sales job), he found out i had some contacts at customers he had also as customers...

they offered me the job, and i accepted only if i could give my current employer 3 weeks notice, and he held the job for me till then...i also was offered $2.00 more an hour...THEN, 3 months later i was promoted to a sales rep and given a salary of about $1000 more a month then my job i was just at 6 months previous...

yes, i got very lucky

Originally posted by Gale17 ...oh and thanks for all the sympathy about losing my old job...
OH my GOODNESS! You POOR, POOR thing! PITY, PITY, PITY, PITY, PITY!

OH my GOODNESS! You POOR, POOR thing! PITY, PITY, PITY, PITY, PITY!

AWW, thanks zoob... i know, i like cried sorta... and was wicked upset kinda... yeah... poor poor me...

Like I already said: Happy Birthday!

Above, here, I tried to pay you a nice compliment for the great way you handled your dilema.

I've working like a courier the last 2'5 years, now a month ago I decided to buy my first motorbike, and decided to change of company for working (still like a courier). I win more money in the new company where I work
:wink:

1. How did you come up with the idea for "Lucky Me: Proving the Odds Wrong in Job Interviews"?

As a scientist, I have always been fascinated by the concept of luck and how it influences our lives. After experiencing multiple unsuccessful job interviews myself, I decided to conduct a research study on how luck plays a role in the job interview process. This eventually led to the idea for "Lucky Me".

2. What did you find to be the most surprising result from your research study?

One of the most surprising findings from my research study was that luck does have a significant impact on job interviews, but it can be manipulated and controlled to a certain extent. By incorporating certain techniques and strategies, individuals can increase their chances of having a successful interview.

3. Can you provide some examples of the techniques and strategies mentioned in your book?

Some techniques and strategies mentioned in "Lucky Me" include visualization, positive self-talk, and preparation. Visualization involves mentally rehearsing the interview and envisioning a successful outcome. Positive self-talk involves replacing negative thoughts with positive affirmations. Preparation includes researching the company and practicing common interview questions.

4. Did you find any patterns or common mistakes among unsuccessful job interviews?

Yes, through my research, I found that unsuccessful job interviews often had a lack of preparation, negative mindset, or poor communication skills. These factors can greatly decrease one's chances of getting the job.

5. What advice do you have for someone who has been struggling with job interviews?

My advice would be to focus on improving your luck by implementing the techniques and strategies mentioned in "Lucky Me". It's also important to stay positive, maintain a growth mindset, and continue to gain experience and skills. Remember that every interview is a learning opportunity, and with persistence and determination, you can overcome any odds.