Integral dx/sqrt(x - a)integral dx/sqrt(1/ax)

• Thread starter rebeka
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses solving the integrals of dx/sqrt(x-a) and dx/sqrt(1/ax). The suggested method is to use substitution and the power law to simplify the integrals. The conversation also encourages the individual to continue participating in PhysicsForums despite any moments of embarrassment.
rebeka
integral dx/sqrt(x - a)
integral dx/sqrt(1/ax)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
reading suggestions

sorry for wasting time I think I just understood substitution, out of embarassment I am never coming back to this forum(bright side of life I learned more in three days than I have in two years)

We all embarrass ourselves at one time or another! (Some of us more than others. Believe me, I know about embarrassing myself!) PLEASE come back to PhysicsForums!

(I need someone to make me look good!)

Anyway, for those who are still wondering how to do these:

[tex]\int \sqrt{x-a}dx[/tex]

Let u= x-1 so du= dx and [tex]\sqrt{x-a}= \sqrt{u}= u^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]. The integral becomes [tex]\int u^{\frac{1}{2}}du[/tex] which can be done with the power law.

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{ax}}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{\frac{1}{ax}}}[/tex] is just [tex]\sqrt{ax}[/tex].

Let u= ax so du= adx, dx= (1/a)du and [tex]\sqrt{ax}= \sqrt{u}= u^{\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]

The integral becomes [tex]\frac{1}{a}\int u^{\frac{1}{2}}du[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
[tex]\int \sqrt{x-a}dx[/tex]

HallsofIvy, should not this equation be:
[tex]\int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{x - a}} = \int u^{-\frac{1}{2}} du[/tex]

Oh, you're right! I missed the "1/" in the first post. Of course, the substitution would be exactly the same and the u-integral what you show. Thanks.

What is the formula for "Integral dx/sqrt(x - a)integral dx/sqrt(1/ax)"?

The formula for "Integral dx/sqrt(x - a)integral dx/sqrt(1/ax)" is ∫ dx/√(x-a) * ∫ dx/√(1/ax).

What is the purpose of the "Integral dx/sqrt(x - a)integral dx/sqrt(1/ax)" formula?

The purpose of the "Integral dx/sqrt(x - a)integral dx/sqrt(1/ax)" formula is to solve for the integral of two functions that contain square roots.

What are the limitations of using the "Integral dx/sqrt(x - a)integral dx/sqrt(1/ax)" formula?

The "Integral dx/sqrt(x - a)integral dx/sqrt(1/ax)" formula has limitations in that it can only be used for integrals involving square roots and cannot be used for other types of integrals.

What are some common applications of the "Integral dx/sqrt(x - a)integral dx/sqrt(1/ax)" formula?

The "Integral dx/sqrt(x - a)integral dx/sqrt(1/ax)" formula is commonly used in physics and engineering to solve for the area under a curve that contains square roots.

Are there any alternative methods for solving integrals involving square roots?

Yes, there are alternative methods for solving integrals involving square roots such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitutions.