How do we calculate the complex integral with poles at 2npi?

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the complex integral \int_{-i\infty}^{i\infty}\frac{1}{exp(s)-1}ds and the problem of finding an integration path around the poles. The main issue is determining if the integral is convergent, and finding a solution involves making a change of variables and finding a suitable integration path.
eljose
complex integral...

let be the integral [tex]\int_{-i\infty}^{i\infty}\frac{1}{exp(s)-1}ds [/tex] then their poles are [tex] 2n\pi [/tex] my question is How would we calculate this integral? i think that the contribution from the poles is [tex] -{\pi}Res(z_0) [/tex] the main problem i find is when i make the change of variables s=iu so we have the improper integral [tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{1}{exp(iu)-1}ds [/tex] but it has singularities at 2npi so i don,t think if the first integral will be convergent or not...could someone help?..thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to find an integration path around the poles.

This looks divergent.

##\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{1}{e^{ix}-1}dx = -x-i\cdot log \left( 1- e^{ix}\right)\bigg|_{-\infty} ^\infty##

What is a complex integral?

A complex integral is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area under a curve in the complex plane. It is an extension of the real-valued integral and is used to solve problems in complex analysis and other areas of mathematics.

How is a complex integral different from a real-valued integral?

A complex integral uses complex numbers as its integrand and integration limits, while a real-valued integral uses real numbers. This means that complex integrals involve more complex calculations and have different properties and applications compared to real-valued integrals.

What is the Cauchy Integral Theorem?

The Cauchy Integral Theorem is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states that the value of a complex integral around a closed contour is equal to the sum of the values of the function at all points inside the contour. It is a powerful tool for evaluating complex integrals and has many applications in mathematics and physics.

What are some applications of complex integrals?

Complex integrals have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve problems in complex analysis, differential equations, and harmonic analysis. They also have applications in fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

How do you calculate a complex integral?

To calculate a complex integral, you first need to determine the integration limits and the integrand. Then, you can use various techniques such as the Cauchy Integral Theorem, Cauchy's Residue Theorem, or contour integration to evaluate the integral. The specific method used will depend on the properties of the function and the contour used in the integration.