Lim(x->inf) of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x = e

• Thread starter techtown
  • Start date
In summary, the given limit equation is lim(x-->inf) of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x = e. The solution for this problem involved taking the natural log of both sides and simplifying to get the limit equation to equal e^{2a}. After substituting x with y and taking the limit as y approaches infinity, the final result is e^{2a}.
techtown
lim(x-->inf) of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x = e

I started this problem and quickly became stuck, the question asks for what value of "a" is the following true:

lim(x-->inf) of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x = e

I took the natural log of both sides to start and got this:

lim(x-->inf) of x*ln((x+a)/(x-a)) = 1

I've tried going on from here but nothing in the end makes sense and i don't know any other way to start the problem; any help is appriciated, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The text is wrong:

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow 0}}f(x) = 1 , \forall a \in \mathbb{R}[/tex]

whereas

[tex]\lim_{\substack{x\rightarrow \infty}}f(x) = e^{2a}[/tex]

Ok?

Last edited:
ah, yes, i did mean for x to go to infinity; but how did you get e^2a?

[tex]\lim_{\substack{ x \rightarrow \infty}} {(\frac {x+a}{x-a})}^x = \lim_{\substack{ x \rightarrow \infty}} {(1+ \frac {2a}{x-a})}^x = \\
\lim_{\substack{ y \rightarrow \infty}} {(1+ \frac {2a}{y})}^{y+a}= [/tex]
[tex]\lim_{\substack{y \rightarrow \infty}} {(1+ \frac {2a}{y})}^y {(1+ \frac {2a}{y})}^a =
\\ \lim_{\substack{y\rightarrow \infty}}{(1+ \frac {2a}{y})}^y = e^{2a}[/tex]

Last edited:
thank you, i think i have it now

1. What is the limit of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x as x approaches infinity?

The limit of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x as x approaches infinity is equal to e, also known as Euler's number or the base of the natural logarithm.

2. How do you solve for the limit of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x as x approaches infinity?

To solve for the limit of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x as x approaches infinity, we can use the property that lim(x->inf) of (1+1/n)^n = e. This means that we can rewrite the original expression as ((x-a)/(x+a))^(-x) and take the reciprocal of the limit to get e.

3. Can the limit of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x be evaluated for any value of a?

Yes, the limit of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x can be evaluated for any value of a. The value of a will not affect the limit, as long as a is a real number.

4. How does the value of a affect the graph of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x?

The value of a affects the graph of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x by shifting the graph horizontally. The larger the value of a, the further to the left the graph will shift, and the smaller the value of a, the further to the right the graph will shift.

5. Can the limit of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x be evaluated for negative values of x?

Yes, the limit of ((x+a)/(x-a))^x can be evaluated for negative values of x. As x approaches negative infinity, the expression will approach e just as it does for positive infinity. However, for certain values of a, the expression may not be defined for negative values of x.