Why Won't My AVI Files Stream from Windows 7 PC to Chromebook?

• Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of streaming avi files from a Windows 7 PC to a Chromebook. The instructions on a webpage were followed, but the avi files were not streaming properly and were instead being downloaded. The suggestion is made to convert the avi files to mp4, as the required bandwidth may be too high for streaming.
NeoDevin
I'm trying to stream media from my windows 7 PC to my chromebook. I followed the instructions on this page to set it up, but I'm having problems with avi files. mp4 files stream properly, but avi files are downloaded, not streamed. Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance!

Computer science news on Phys.org
That's what I've been doing so far, but it'd make my life a bit easier if I didn't have to...

Assuming your .avi files have minimal or no compression, the issue is that the required bandwidth is too high to stream them to your chromebook. Convert / compress an .avi file to .mp4 and compare the difference in the sizes of the files.

I would suggest checking the compatibility of the file format with both your Windows 7 PC and Chromebook. AVI files are not natively supported by Chromebooks, so it is possible that the issue lies with the compatibility between the two devices. Additionally, I would suggest checking the network settings and making sure both devices are connected to the same network for optimal streaming. It may also be helpful to try converting the AVI files to a supported format such as MP4 and see if that resolves the issue. If the problem persists, I would recommend reaching out to technical support for further assistance.

1. How can I stream .avi files to my Chromebook?

To stream .avi files to your Chromebook, you can use a media player app such as VLC or Plex. These apps allow you to stream .avi files from your computer to your Chromebook over a local network.

2. Can I stream .avi files from online sources to my Chromebook?

Yes, there are websites and streaming services that offer .avi files for streaming. You can use a web-based media player like RealPlayer Cloud or Cloud Media Player to stream these files to your Chromebook.

3. Do I need to convert .avi files to a different format to stream them on my Chromebook?

No, you do not need to convert .avi files to stream them on your Chromebook. As long as you have a media player app or web-based player that supports .avi files, you can stream them directly without conversion.

4. Can I stream .avi files to my Chromebook from a USB drive or external hard drive?

Yes, you can stream .avi files to your Chromebook from a USB drive or external hard drive. You can use a media player app or web-based player to access and stream the files from the external storage device.

5. Are there any limitations or restrictions when streaming .avi files to a Chromebook?

Some media players or web-based players may have limitations on the size or quality of .avi files that can be streamed. Additionally, your internet connection speed may affect the streaming quality. It is recommended to have a stable and high-speed internet connection for optimal streaming of .avi files to your Chromebook.