Potential due to electric dipole

In summary, the potential due to an electric dipole can be calculated using the formula V = p.r / 4(pi)(epsilon)r3, where p is the separation between two charges and r is the distance between them. The tangential component of the electrical field can be found using the formula E[tangential] = psin(theta) / 4(pi)(epsilon)r3, where theta is the angle between the dipole and the E field. Taking the derivative in the tangential direction, the tangential component becomes -psin(theta) / 4(pi)(epsilon)r3. The tangential component is perpendicular to the dipole moment and the position vector at any point. Additionally, when determining the peak amplitude of the
indie452
potential due to electric dipole is

V = p.r / 4(pi)(epsilon)r3

show the tangential component of the electrical field is

= psin(theta) / 4(pi)(epsilon)r3what I've tried:

i assumed there are 2 charges separated by distance r
potential difference U = qV = -qE.r

so can i say E[tangential] = V/r ?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is electric field related to potential?

well E = -(grad)V
so could if i use d/dr? and get E = = -psin(theta) / 4(pi)(epsilon)r3

would i then just take E[tan] = Esin(theta)

if we assume the dipole is at an angle theta to the E field?

but what about the - sign

indie452 said:
well E = -(grad)V
Right.
so could if i use d/dr?
You want the tangential component.

Hint: [tex]\vec{p}\cdot \vec{r} = pr \cos\theta[/tex]

How do you take the derivative in the tangential direction?

i'm not sure on how to do a tangential derivative...i may have done it in maths but didn't know that's what it was called.
is it related to spherical coords?

okay s if i use 1/r*d/dtheta

then Etan becomes

= -(-psin(theta) / 4(pi)(epsilon)r3)

okay i get that now...thanks

btw just so i can get the physical pic in my head, is the tangental component of V perpendicular to the moment 'bar', or is it simply horizontal?

cause i pictured the diagram to be as seen in attached so I'm not sure how it is prcos if not horizontal

Attachments

• qu8.jpg
    qu8.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 404
Imagine that the dipole moment defines the z-axis. The field at any point (specified by the position vector r) will have components in all directions. The one we want is the tangential component, perpendicular to the position vector at any point. (In spherical coordinates, it will be the theta component.)

Note that pr cosθ is just the magnitude of the dot product of the vectors p and r that appears in the potential.

Doc Al said:
Note that pr cosθ is just the magnitude of the dot product of the vectors p and r that appears in the potential.

oh yeah... of course:rolleyes:should have realized that earlier...

thanks for the help, that's another revision topic i can tick off

btw one quick question unrelated - I'm doing a question at the moment that simply states that there is a laser beam with power = 15MW/m^2 and i need to give the peak amplitude of the electric field n the beam...
this question says its worth 10marks so the answer can't simply be power is proportional to the amplitude^2 can it?

indie452 said:
btw one quick question unrelated - I'm doing a question at the moment that simply states that there is a laser beam with power = 15MW/m^2 and i need to give the peak amplitude of the electric field n the beam...
this question says its worth 10marks so the answer can't simply be power is proportional to the amplitude^2 can it?
I assume that that's the average intensity of the beam. Sure it's proportional to the the amplitude of the E field, but what's the proportionality constant? Hint: Review the Poynting vector.

1. How is the potential due to an electric dipole calculated?

The potential due to an electric dipole is calculated by summing the potentials due to each individual charge in the dipole. The formula for the potential at a point P located at a distance r from the center of the dipole is V = kq(d cos θ)/r^2, where k is the Coulomb constant, q is the magnitude of the charge, d is the distance between the two charges, and θ is the angle between the dipole axis and the line connecting P to the center of the dipole.

2. What is the physical significance of the potential due to an electric dipole?

The potential due to an electric dipole represents the amount of work required to move a unit charge from infinity to a specific point in space. It is also related to the electric field, as the electric field is the negative gradient of the potential. The potential due to an electric dipole is used to understand and analyze the behavior of electric dipoles in various systems, such as molecules, atoms, and circuits.

3. How does the potential due to an electric dipole change with distance?

The potential due to an electric dipole follows an inverse-square law, meaning that it decreases as the distance from the dipole increases. As the distance increases, the potential decreases at a rate of 1/r^2. This means that the potential due to an electric dipole is strongest at points closest to the dipole and becomes weaker as the distance increases.

4. Can the potential due to an electric dipole be negative?

Yes, the potential due to an electric dipole can be negative. This occurs when the two charges in the dipole have opposite signs and are separated by a distance less than the distance to the point where potential is being measured. In this case, the potential due to one charge is positive while the potential due to the other is negative, resulting in a net negative potential.

5. How is the potential due to an electric dipole represented graphically?

The potential due to an electric dipole is often represented graphically using equipotential lines, which are curves that connect points with the same potential. These lines are perpendicular to the electric field lines, which show the direction of the electric field. The distance between the equipotential lines represents the change in potential, with lines closer together indicating a greater change in potential. The potential due to an electric dipole is strongest where the equipotential lines are closest together and weakest where they are farthest apart.