Electrostatics of 4 charges arranged in a square

In summary, Four charges are arranged on the corners of a square whose edge length is a. Two positive charges +Q are placed on diagonally opposite corners, and two negative charges -Q are placed on the other corners. The force on a test charge qo placed at the center of the square is zero, as the forces from the positive and negative charges cancel out. If the test charge qo is placed at the midpoint of one of the edges, the magnitude of the force will be given by Coulomb's Law and the direction will depend on the relative positions of the test charge and the other charges.
fizziksr0cks

Homework Statement

Four charges are arranged on the corners of a square whose edge length is a. Two positive charges +Q are placed on diagonally opposite corners, and two negative charges -Q are placed on the other corners. (a) What is the force on a test charge qo placed at the center of the square? (b) What are the magnitude and the direction of the force on the test charge qo if it is placed at the midpoint of one of the edges?

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law-

F=[tex]\frac{k |Q1| |Q2|}{r2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
I drew myself a picture of all the forces in a square with 1 set of diagonals positive and the other set negative. "a" represents the side length.

I'm not really sure where to go with this. I tried Coulomb's law for repulsive forces on qo by Q1, etc. and then did the same for attractive forces. The test charge is positive correct?

(b) I think I have this part figured out. Because all sides have one positive charge and one negative charge it doesn't matter which midpoint qo is placed on. If qo is positive then it will be repelled by +Q and attracted by -Q in a linear way. The only thing I'm unsure of is the two remaining charges not on the same line. Do they have any effect on the force of qo ?

Instead of just posting an answer is it possible for you to show your thoughts/steps? I'd like to know the thought process for this type of problem instead of just the answer. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What was your result for part a? Yes, always assume the test charge is positive. You should have gotten a very convenient result.

As for b) (and a)), remember that Coulomb's Law is a vector law. You need to take into account directions and not just magnitudes.

1. How do you calculate the electric field at a point in the center of a square formed by 4 charges?

The electric field at a point in the center of a square formed by 4 charges can be calculated by first finding the electric field due to one charge at that point, and then using vector addition to find the total electric field. The formula for the electric field due to one point charge is E = kq/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point.

2. What is the net electric field at the corners of a square formed by 4 charges?

The net electric field at the corners of a square formed by 4 charges will depend on the arrangement of the charges. If the charges are equal and arranged in a symmetrical manner, the net electric field at the corners will be zero since the electric fields from the opposite charges will cancel each other out. However, if the charges are unequal or arranged asymmetrically, the net electric field at the corners will not be zero.

3. How does the distance between the charges affect the strength of the electric field at a point in the square?

The distance between the charges has a direct effect on the strength of the electric field at a point in the square. As the distance between the charges decreases, the electric field at a point will increase. This is because the electric field follows an inverse square law, meaning it decreases with the square of the distance.

4. Can the charges in a square arrangement have different signs and still form a stable system?

Yes, the charges in a square arrangement can have different signs and still form a stable system. As long as the charges are arranged symmetrically and the magnitudes of the charges are equal, the system will be stable. This is because the forces between opposite charges will cancel each other out, resulting in a balanced system.

5. How can the concept of electric potential be applied to a square arrangement of 4 charges?

The concept of electric potential can be applied to a square arrangement of 4 charges by calculating the potential energy of each charge and then adding them together to find the total potential energy of the system. The electric potential at a point can also be calculated using the formula V = kq/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance between the charge and the point. This can help in understanding the behavior and stability of the system.