Proving Injection in Composite Functions: A Step-by-Step Guide

• Thread starter dijkarte
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Injective
It covers the basics of mathematical proof writing and techniques. Another book is "How to prove it" by Daniel Velleman. Both are great resources for learning how to write proper proofs. In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that if the composition of two functions (g ° f) is an injection, then f must also be an injection. The participants consider using a proof by contradiction, but ultimately determine that the hypothesis implies that f is an injection. They also recommend resources for learning how to write proper proofs.
dijkarte
Given two functions:
f:A --> B
g:B --> C
How to show that if the (g ° f) is injection, then f is injection?

I tried this:

We need to show that g(f(a)) = g(f(b)) ==> a = b holds true for all a, b in A. But there's nothing said about function g.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've tried using function mapping diagrams and actually it showed this proposition is wrong.
(g ° f) injective ==> g and f are injective.

dijkarte said:
We need to show that g(f(a)) = g(f(b)) ==> a = b holds true for all a, b in A.

No, you don't need to show that, that's given.

You need to show that f is an injection. That is: f(a)=f(b) ==> a=b. That is what you need to show.

You are absolutely right, my bad expressing the problem...

And yeah my post should have been moved under elementary school math ;)

But it's not a homework either, it's a question my professor did not have time to clarify well!

dijkarte said:
But it's not a homework either

Doesn't really matter. It's the style of homework, so it belongs here. It's irrelevant whether it is actually homework.

So, got any ideas??

You have f(a)=f(b) and you need to prove a=b.
Convert it to g(f(a))=g(f(b)) in some way.

But I think in order to show that f(a) = f(b) ==> a = b, g has to be given as injection as well, though I could prove that both functions g and f are injections using function mapping diagram.

dijkarte said:
But I think in order to show that f(a) = f(b) ==> a = b, g has to be given as injection as well, though I could prove that both functions g and f are injections using function mapping diagram.

No, you don't need that g is an injection.
And if gf is an injection, then it does NOT imply that g is an injection.

Ok I could prove it by contradiction. Assuming f(x) is not injection, then

Then there's the case where f(a) = f(b) and a != b for some a, b

Then g(f(a)) = g(f(b)) where a != b, which contradicts the given argument.

That is ok. But there is no need for a contradiction argument.

If f(a)=f(b). Taking g of both sides, we get g(f(a))=g(f(b)). By hypothesis, this implies a=b.

Got it! Any good reference that helps with doing proper proofs?

Thanks.

The book "How to think like a mathematician" by Kevin Houston is a good book.

What is injective composition?

Injective composition is a mathematical concept where two functions are combined to create a new function that retains the injective property. This means that the resulting function maps each input value to a unique output value.

What are the characteristics of an injective composition?

An injective composition has the following characteristics:

• It is a combination of two injective functions.
  • The resulting function is also injective.
  • The domain of the resulting function is the intersection of the domains of the original functions.
  • The range of the resulting function is the image of the first function.

What is the difference between injective composition and regular composition?

Regular composition is a mathematical concept where two functions are combined, but the resulting function may not retain the injective property. This means that the resulting function may map multiple input values to the same output value. On the other hand, injective composition guarantees that each input value maps to a unique output value.

How is injective composition useful in real-world applications?

Injective composition is useful in many areas, including data encryption and compression. In data encryption, injective composition can be used to ensure that each input value (e.g. a letter or number) is mapped to a unique output value (e.g. a different letter or number). This helps to prevent information loss or duplication during the encryption process. In data compression, injective composition can be used to reduce the size of a dataset while still retaining all of the original information.

Are there any limitations to injective composition?

Yes, injective composition is limited in that it can only be applied to functions with the injective property. This means that not all functions can be combined using injective composition. Additionally, the resulting function may have a smaller domain and range compared to the original functions, which may limit its usefulness in certain applications.