Example for divergent probability distribution ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of relative probabilities and whether or not they can be used with probability distributions that do not add up to 1. It is suggested that if the sum of all values is finite, the distribution can be normalized to get a meaningful probability distribution. However, in the case of a distribution that cannot be normalized, it is still possible to interpret it as a probability distribution and use relative probabilities. The usefulness of this interpretation depends on the context.
Jano L.
Gold Member
Sometimes it is said that the probability distribution which does not add up to 1 still can be used to find relative probabilities.

For example, consider probability distribution [itex]p_n = 1/n[/itex] for all natural numbers. Does it make sense to say [itex]n = 1[/itex] is twice as probable as [itex]n=2[/itex], even if total probability does not add up to 1? Or does probabilistic description necessarily require that total probability is 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the sum of all values is finite (!), you can normalize the values to get a meaningful probability distribution. ##p_n=\frac{1}{n^2}## would allow that, for example, with normalization factor ##\frac{6}{\pi^2}##.

If you do not care about absolute probabilities, you can ignore that prefactor and work with relative probabilities.

Thank you. I was thinking mainly of the case when the distribution cannot be normalized. Can I work with relative probabilities given by [itex]p_n = 1/n[/itex]?

In quantum theory, it was suggested that divergent probability distribution still gives relative probabilities correctly. But I am unsure about this concept of "relative probability". Does it make sense for divergent distribution?

I don't think this works for countable sets. There is no probability distribution with those ratios.
It can work for uncountable sets as a probability density function, if the integral is bounded.

Jano L. said:
Thank you. I was thinking mainly of the case when the distribution cannot be normalized. Can I work with relative probabilities given by [itex]p_n = 1/n[/itex]?

In quantum theory, it was suggested that divergent probability distribution still gives relative probabilities correctly. But I am unsure about this concept of "relative probability". Does it make sense for divergent distribution?

I'm sure it makes sense if you define things properly. Defining a probability [itex]\mu[/itex] on [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] with [itex]\mu\{n\}=1/n[/itex] will not give you a probability distribution and cannot be renormalized to give you one. However, if you want to interpret it as a probability distribution and if you want to say that 1 is twice as probably as 2, then you can do that. You can interpret most definitions and theorems for this "infinite" distribution (however not all theorems are going to hold). So there is nothing wrong with interpreting [itex]\mu[/itex] as an probability distribution (however,strictly speaking it is not one). How useful this interpretation is depends on the context. It might make things a lot clearer, or it might not.

1. What is a divergent probability distribution?

A divergent probability distribution is a type of probability distribution in which the values of the distribution approach either positive or negative infinity as they get further from the mean. This means that the probability of obtaining extremely high or low values is higher compared to a normal distribution.

2. How is a divergent probability distribution different from a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is symmetrical, with the majority of values falling near the mean and fewer values occurring further away from the mean. A divergent probability distribution, on the other hand, has a mean that is closer to one of the extremes and a higher frequency of extreme values.

3. What are some real-life examples of a divergent probability distribution?

One example is the distribution of wealth in a society, where a small percentage of individuals hold the majority of the wealth. Another example is the distribution of earthquake magnitudes, where the majority of earthquakes are small but there is a small probability of extremely large earthquakes.

4. How is a divergent probability distribution useful in scientific research?

Divergent probability distributions can be useful in identifying rare or extreme events that may have a significant impact. They can also help in understanding the underlying factors that contribute to the occurrence of these events, which can be useful in predicting and mitigating their effects.

5. Can a divergent probability distribution be transformed into a normal distribution?

Yes, it is possible to transform a divergent probability distribution into a normal distribution through mathematical transformations such as logarithmic or power transformations. However, this may not always be appropriate or necessary, as the original distribution may hold valuable information about the data.