Can you move fast enough towards light so that it has a period of 0?

In summary, the speed of light is the only speed at which the Doppler shift factor is zero, which is necessary for a wavelength to have a period of 0. Since it is impossible to move at the speed of light, this scenario never occurs. However, it is possible that there is movement in outer space that could yield undetected or unrecognized periods in wavelengths.
stu dent
at what speed must i be moving towards a beam of light in order for the wavelength to have a period of 0?

would it be the speed of light? would it need to be greater than the speed of light? if so, what period would it be at if i were movign at the speed of light?

i mean, maybe the question is dumb, and the answer is obvious that it would be the speed of light, but with relativity, the answer seldom turns out to be obvious i find.

Physics news on Phys.org
stu dent said:
would it be the speed of light?

Yes. The Doppler shift factor is [(1-v/c)/(1+v/c)]1/2, which only equals zero for v=c. Since you can't move at v=c, this never happens.

ya.. but light does.

it's almost kind of predictable that would be the case, and yet, an interesting thought.

and predictably i guess again, as v→-c it goes to infinity.

here's a related question. how do we know whether or not there's a bunch of stuff in outer space that's moving away, or towards us, by rates of speed that would yield a period, as of yet, undetected by us? or detected by us, and yet, unrecognized.

1. Can an object move fast enough towards light to experience a period of 0?

No, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, an object with mass can never reach the speed of light. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further.

2. What is the speed of light and how is it measured?

The speed of light is a fundamental physical constant, denoted by the letter "c", which represents the speed at which electromagnetic radiation travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second and is measured using various methods such as the time it takes for light to travel a known distance or the frequency of light waves.

3. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

No, according to our current understanding of physics, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This is a fundamental principle of the theory of relativity and has been supported by numerous experiments and observations.

4. How does the speed of light affect time and space?

The speed of light is a fundamental constant that plays a crucial role in shaping our understanding of time and space. According to the theory of relativity, as an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down and space contracts. This phenomenon is known as time dilation and has been observed in experiments involving high-speed particles.

5. Why is the speed of light considered to be the ultimate speed limit?

The speed of light is considered to be the ultimate speed limit because it is the fastest speed at which all known forms of energy and matter can travel. As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases infinitely and it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it further. This makes it impossible for any object to surpass the speed of light.