Yo-yoing over the harmonic oscillator

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand how the cosine function is involved in the solution to the HO equation d2x/dt2=-kx/m. The person asking for help suggests that using a better notation, such as x = acos(bt), might make it easier to understand and provides a link to further explanation.
DiracPool
I've been looking around and trying to figure it out, but I can't seem to figure out how the cosine function get's into the solution to the HO equation d2x/dt2=-kx/m. I know this is extremely basic, but could someone indulge me?

Physics news on Phys.org
The second derivative of [itex]-cosθ[/itex] is equal to [itex]cosθ[/itex]. Because [itex][-cosθ]' = -sinθ [/itex] and [itex][-sinθ]' = cosθ [/itex] so [itex][-cosθ]'' = cosθ [/itex].
Maybe this is also helpfull: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=x''+=+-x

It is not so difficult to use a better notation!

Try to see whether x = acos(bt), where a and b are constants, fits with the equation

[itex]\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}}[/itex] = -(positive constant)x.

1. What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits periodic motion around a stable equilibrium point, where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point. This type of oscillation can be seen in various physical systems, such as a mass on a spring or a pendulum.

2. How does yo-yoing over a harmonic oscillator work?

When a yo-yo is dropped from a height above a harmonic oscillator, it will descend and eventually reach equilibrium at the bottom of the oscillator. As it continues to move, the yo-yo's energy will oscillate between kinetic energy (motion) and potential energy (height above the equilibrium point).

3. What factors affect the yo-yo's motion over a harmonic oscillator?

The frequency of the harmonic oscillator, the initial height of the yo-yo, and the mass of the yo-yo are all factors that can affect the motion of the yo-yo over the oscillator. Additionally, air resistance and friction can also play a role in the yo-yo's motion.

4. Can yo-yoing over a harmonic oscillator be used to demonstrate physics concepts?

Yes, yo-yoing over a harmonic oscillator can be a useful tool for demonstrating concepts such as energy conservation, potential and kinetic energy, and simple harmonic motion. It can also be used to explore the effects of different variables on the yo-yo's motion.

5. Are there any real-world applications for yo-yoing over a harmonic oscillator?

While it may seem like a simple and fun activity, yo-yoing over a harmonic oscillator actually has real-world applications in areas such as engineering, physics, and mathematics. It can be used to study vibrations and oscillations in mechanical systems, and can also serve as a model for understanding more complex systems.