Help with Mine Engineering Assignment Questions

In summary: Joules of energy are needed to do this?3rd, what would be the power needed if the pump is operated at 70% efficiency?In summary, the required power to pump water against a head of 120m is 7246 Joules. The pump must be operated at a efficiency of 75% or less for this power to be effective.
Poco Express
Hi
I am doing a mine engineering degree by correspondence and I have an assignment to do and the lecture notes do not provide any assistance on some of the cals.
I am hoping some of you can help me
I will start with these two questions and see if you can help before posting more:
Q1)
Determine the reqired power to pump 11.36 l/s against a total dynamic head of 112.78m if the pump operates at 70% efficiency
Q2)
What is the required power to pump 4000 litres per minute against a total dynamic head of 120m if the pump operates at 75% efficiency

The formula the notes gives me is
P = Q.γ.H / 10 power 6
But I can't work out what this means

Physics news on Phys.org
This is a decent little paper on pump requirements.

I've never seen a power formula with 10^6 in the denominator.

Generally, the equation is some form of: [(Flow rate)*(Head)*(Specific Gravity)] / [(multiplier)*(% efficiency/100)]
Of course care must be given to units to determine the value of the multiplier in order to get your power in the correct units as well. Though, again, I don't know how the multiplier could go as high as 10^6.

Nor do I know what the y is in this equation (is it SG? If so, where is the efficiency considered?).

Poco Express said:
Hi
I am doing a mine engineering degree by correspondence and I have an assignment to do and the lecture notes do not provide any assistance on some of the cals.
I am hoping some of you can help me
I will start with these two questions and see if you can help before posting more:
Q1)
Determine the reqired power to pump 11.36 l/s against a total dynamic head of 112.78m if the pump operates at 70% efficiency
Q2)
What is the required power to pump 4000 litres per minute against a total dynamic head of 120m if the pump operates at 75% efficiency

The formula the notes gives me is
P = Q.γ.H / 10 power 6
But I can't work out what this means

I assume we're talking about water.
Q1:
1st, what is the energy (in Joules) needed to lift 11.36 l over a height of 112.78m?
2nd, what power is required to do this in a time of 1s?
3rd, how do you adjust the required power in light of the 70% pump efficiency?

Q2: same thing except convert l/min. to kg/s.

1. What is Mine Engineering?

Mine Engineering is a field of study and practice that involves the design, construction, and management of mines. It combines principles of engineering, geology, and economics to ensure the safe and efficient extraction of minerals from the earth.

2. What are some common topics covered in Mine Engineering assignments?

Mine Engineering assignments can cover a wide range of topics, including mine design, mine ventilation, rock mechanics, mine safety, mineral processing, and mine reclamation. These topics may also vary depending on the level of study and specific course requirements.

3. Is it necessary to have a background in engineering to excel in Mine Engineering?

While having an engineering background can certainly be beneficial, it is not a requirement to excel in Mine Engineering. A strong foundation in mathematics and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills, can also be helpful in this field.

4. What are some potential career opportunities in Mine Engineering?

A degree in Mine Engineering can lead to various career opportunities, such as a mining engineer, geological engineer, drilling engineer, or environmental engineer. Other potential career paths include working in mine operations, consulting, research, and academia.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Mine Engineering concepts?

Some ways to improve your understanding of Mine Engineering concepts include attending lectures and labs, participating in class discussions, reviewing course materials regularly, and seeking help from professors or tutors if needed. It can also be helpful to apply theoretical concepts to real-world examples and engage in hands-on experiences such as internships or co-op placements.