Register to reply

Can someone explain Euclid's Algorithm to me?

by 1MileCrash
Tags: algorithm, euclid, explain
Share this thread:
1MileCrash
Mar24-14, 04:53 PM
P: 1,305
My book is utterly useless - it vaguely gives me a history behind it, its motivations, and then lists an example in which it precedes to write a bunch of utterly false statements and then just.. spits out the answer.

Can someone explain to me what on Earth is going on in the attached picture? If this is not a notational confusion or typos in my book, then I must assert that Euclid's Algorithm makes absolutely no sense. 212 = 106.2, therefore here you go. I demand the author be sent to the lunatic asylum immediately.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140324_164917653.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researcher figures out how sharks manage to act like math geniuses
Math journal puts Rauzy fractcal image on the cover
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Integral
Mar24-14, 05:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 7,336
How about you rotate that scan and try to get as much of the explanation as you can.
1MileCrash
Mar24-14, 05:11 PM
Ok, I just looked it up online and it is fairly straight forward. I just don't understand how you can write the mathematical statement 212 = 106.2 + 0 and be ok with that. It makes me want to torch the book. I still have no idea what they are doing even after getting a coherent explanation.

Mandelbroth
Mar24-14, 05:33 PM
P: 615
Can someone explain Euclid's Algorithm to me?

Quote Quote by 1MileCrash View Post
My book is utterly useless - it vaguely gives me a history behind it, its motivations, and then lists an example in which it precedes to write a bunch of utterly false statements and then just.. spits out the answer.

Can someone explain to me what on Earth is going on in the attached picture? If this is not a notational confusion or typos in my book, then I must assert that Euclid's Algorithm makes absolutely no sense. 212 = 106.2, therefore here you go. I demand the author be sent to the lunatic asylum immediately.
1.106 is meaning 1 times 106, I think...
1MileCrash
Mar24-14, 05:38 PM
Quote Quote by Mandelbroth View Post
1.106 is meaning 1 times 106, I think...
Oh thank goodness, now I don't have to switch majors.

Thanks you two.

Register to reply