Path Integrals in QFT: Beyond Peskin's Reference

In summary, there are several good references for path integrals in QFT, including Richard P. Feynman's Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals, Zee's Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell, and Bailin and Love's Introduction to Gauge Field Theory. Nair's Quantum Field Theory: A Modern Perspective is also recommended for those looking for more advanced material.
kcoshic
Can anyone suggest me a good reference for path integrals (QFT), apart from peskin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Mechanics and Path Integrals: Emended Edition
by Richard P. Feynman (Author), Albert R. Hibbs (Author), Daniel F. Styer (Editor)

Zee's Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell is a great book to start on path integrals and QFT in general. (I stopped counting how many times I read it).

joly said:
Zee's Quantum Field Theory in a Nutshell is a great book to start on path integrals and QFT in general. (I stopped counting how many times I read it).

I watched Zee's lectures on QFT before buying the book and, to be honest, I wasn't too impressed. So I didn't buy the book because I didn't anticipate it being any better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch?v=_AZdvtf6hPU

Well, that's not a place to say this, but... How can you judge a book from a 4 lecture/presentation on the topic by the author to a divergent audience??

Thanks a lot everyone

Bailin and Love - Introduction to Gauge Field Theory. Does QFT only in path-integral formalism.

ChrisVer said:
Well, that's not a place to say this, but... How can you judge a book from a 4 lecture/presentation on the topic by the author to a divergent audience??

I think that's probably a better way than just judging the book by it's cover, don't you think?

Or even a written review. I think that before the OP went out and bought Zee's book sight unseen, just on a simple recommendation from a post here, that having the resource of watching Zee lecture for several hours on the book's contents might give the OP an indication of whether the level of discourse was in the area he or she was comfortable with.

DiracPool said:
I think that's probably a better way than just judging the book by it's cover, don't you think?

Not really. The book and the talk are very different.

dextercioby said:
Bailin and Love - Introduction to Gauge Field Theory. Does QFT only in path-integral formalism.
Does this book discuss non-perturbative methods, gauge fixing, Gribov ambiguities and all that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks; I'll have a look at Nair's book (there's nothing really new, but it may be interesting to have it in textbook form)

1. What is the purpose of using path integrals in quantum field theory?

The purpose of using path integrals in quantum field theory is to provide a mathematical framework for calculating the amplitudes of particle interactions. It allows for the calculation of probabilities for various particle interactions and is an essential tool in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

2. How do path integrals differ from other methods of calculating particle interactions?

Path integrals differ from other methods of calculating particle interactions, such as perturbation theory, in that they take into account all possible paths that particles can take in space and time. This includes paths that may not be captured by perturbation theory, making path integrals a more comprehensive approach.

3. Can path integrals be used for all quantum field theories?

Yes, path integrals can be used for all quantum field theories. However, they are particularly useful for non-perturbative calculations in theories where perturbation theory is not applicable, such as in quantum gravity or condensed matter systems.

4. How does "Beyond Peskin's Reference" extend the understanding of path integrals in QFT?

"Beyond Peskin's Reference" provides a more comprehensive and detailed treatment of path integrals in QFT. It covers advanced topics such as non-perturbative effects, symmetries, and anomalies, which are not typically included in introductory texts on the subject.

5. Are there any practical applications of path integrals in QFT?

Yes, there are several practical applications of path integrals in QFT. These include the calculation of scattering amplitudes, the study of phase transitions in condensed matter systems, and the development of quantum computing algorithms. Path integrals also have applications in other fields, such as statistical mechanics and string theory.