Register to reply

DBM: Ring Diode Topology

by perplexabot
Tags: diode, ring, topology
Share this thread:
perplexabot
Aug13-14, 03:07 AM
P: 248
Hi all. I started a thread a while back about RF mixer design. I didn't know what to do or what design to choose. You guys laid some options for me and after some research and time I have finally decided that I will go for a double balanced, ring diode topology. Here is a schematic from google:

So I think I get the general idea of the circuit and I am ready to simulate it and build it. I am wondering about one thing though, the two balun transformers... Is it possible to buy them already made? If so, how do I choose what I need? I would hate having to wind them myself as my hands do not allow me to undertake such delicate work.

Thank you PF.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
3-D printing leads to another advance in make-it-yourself lab equipment
Nanoscience makes your wine better
sophiecentaur
Aug13-14, 04:33 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,261
It depends on the frequency you are working at (for the cost) but I think they are available at all popular frequencies and would probably work better than a home made version (coil winding is pretty skilled and balance is important).
See these links
1, 2, and many others.
davenn
Aug13-14, 05:43 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,739
I agree with sophiecentaur

These things are built in a tiny metal box 1" x .5" x .5" and cost peanuts. You would never be able to achieve anywhere near the performance that a commercial one would give you.
You would be better off putting your efforts to other parts of the RF circuits
The SBL- 1 ( and SBL-1X) is a wideband mixer I have used often over the years
Have also used a variety of others that cover other frequency ranges

cheers
Dave

perplexabot
Aug13-14, 07:33 AM
P: 248
DBM: Ring Diode Topology

Thank you guys for your great replies. After looking at the links you have provided, I found some baluns that have the frequency range that I am looking for. I will be ordering a pair soon.

EDIT1: I think I will get this one: http://www.coilcraft-cps.com/pdf/ae458rfw.pdf OR http://www.bourns.com/pdfs/RF.pdf

EDIT2: Sorry for the multiple edits...
sophiecentaur
Aug13-14, 10:39 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,261
I have played with audio frequency baluns and mixers. Good fun: Ex terrrrrminate!!! (Dr Who / Dalek, quote, for people not in the UK)

Register to reply