Rand Cam Engine: New Automotive Technology

In summary, the engine has a cam that rotates by a wedge effect of the combustion gas. It would likely never be able to provide the type of sealing quality as in piston engines. Besides more sealing will be required than the piston. Piston requires sealing only on circumference. This one requires in on all sides of the vane.
Engineering news on Phys.org
wow, that's cool. see its stuff like this that makes me wonder why I am becoming an engineer, every time i see something like this there is one less thing for me to invent, and i always feel like that idea is much ebtter than mine

Ayrity said:
wow, that's cool. see its stuff like this that makes me wonder why I am becoming an engineer, every time i see something like this there is one less thing for me to invent, and i always feel like that idea is much ebtter than mine

I have read that this engine can be made entirly of ceramics, and may be used for powering spy planes, due to its low radar reflection and quiteness
of opperation.

Maybe it's just because of my not-so-great eyesight, but I can't quite determine the method of operation. Is that cam essentially a ramped piston that rotates by a wedge effect of the combustion gas? I wish that there was a more detailed set of pictures, and maybe an animation.

Danger said:
Maybe it's just because of my not-so-great eyesight, but I can't quite determine the method of operation. Is that cam essentially a ramped piston that rotates by a wedge effect of the combustion gas? I wish that there was a more detailed set of pictures, and maybe an animation.

Danger, look at this site for animation.

http://www.regtech.com/93.html

Last edited by a moderator:
It is interesting. I like the concept and easy is always better. I would like to see some power curves before I jump to too many conclusions. However, with their stock at $.40 or so per share, this might be a great low cost stock to get in on the ground floor.

BTW...that company should never have let that mechanic be interviewed on that video. His portions were horrendous to listen to.

sealing = HUGE problem like the wankel.

sid_galt said:
sealing = HUGE problem like the wankel.

I think the intension of building this engine from ceramics may over come
sealing problems, running clearances of 2 micron have been mentioned, in
other applications. if industry can mass produce to this level of accuracy
cheaply, (in comparison to a piston engine) is another matter.

wolram said:
I think the intension of building this engine from ceramics may over come
sealing problems, running clearances of 2 micron have been mentioned, in
other applications. if industry can mass produce to this level of accuracy
cheaply, (in comparison to a piston engine) is another matter.

Yes but
1) It would likely never be able to provide the type of sealing quality as in piston engines. Besides more sealing will be required than the piston. Piston requires sealing only on circumference. This one requires in on all sides of the vane.

2) I previously studied this rotary vane engine concept. In one of the patents, a problem mentioned was that when the vane uncovers the hole and the gases flow through, the hot gases will corrode the seal(if present) and the vane.
Over time this could be a major problem in this one especially since the corrosion will be taking place throughout the cycle of the engine.

3) Ceramics would be costlier than steel and aluminum. And they would require grinding and hot pressing to shape which is expensive though that might be partially offset by the lower number of parts.

4) Market scope:- I would say virtually zero because
a. no added advantage over the piston except power.
b. possibly expense
c. lack of research while the piston has been researched for over 120 years
d. MAJOR interest in fuel cells
e. restructuring of manufacturing equipment and tech know-how.

Thanks for the link, Woolie. It makes sense now, except that I can't figure out why the part labelled 'rotor' is apparently the only thing not rotating. I was about to ask where the hell the sparkplug screws in, until I reread the part that said it's a diesel. :redface: How to start it without a glowplug, though?

1. What is a Rand Cam Engine?

A Rand Cam Engine is a type of internal combustion engine that uses a unique rotary design to convert fuel into energy, making it a potential alternative to traditional piston engines in automobiles.

2. How does a Rand Cam Engine work?

The engine has two main components: a rotor with a series of curved vanes, and a stationary stator with a curved inner surface. As the rotor rotates, the vanes slide along the stator, changing the volume of the combustion chamber and compressing the fuel-air mixture. This compression causes the fuel to ignite and drive the rotor, producing power.

3. What are the advantages of a Rand Cam Engine?

A Rand Cam Engine has several advantages over traditional piston engines, including higher power-to-weight ratio, smoother operation, and reduced noise and vibration. It also has fewer moving parts, making it potentially more reliable and less expensive to maintain.

4. Is the Rand Cam Engine currently being used in production vehicles?

Currently, the Rand Cam Engine is not being used in production vehicles, but it has been tested successfully in prototypes and is being considered as a potential alternative to traditional engines in the future.

5. Are there any drawbacks to using a Rand Cam Engine?

One potential drawback of a Rand Cam Engine is its complexity, which may make it more difficult and expensive to manufacture. Additionally, the engine may require specialized training for maintenance and repair, and there may be limited availability of replacement parts.