Finding x in R^2 with Basis B & Coordinate Vector [x]_B

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the coordinate vector of a vector x in R^2 relative to an ordered basis B. The coordinate vector is found by expressing x as a linear combination of the two vectors in the basis and finding the corresponding coefficients. The conversation also touches on how to determine the coordinate vector for one of the basis vectors. The speaker suggests rereading the textbook for a better understanding of the concept.
UrbanXrisis
Consider the basis B of R^2 consisting of vectors

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}-6 & -2 \end{array}\right)[/tex] and [tex]\left(\begin{array}{c}1 & 3 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

find x in R^2 whose coordinate vector relative to the basis B is

[tex][x]_B = \left(\begin{array}{c}6 & 5 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

I need to find x

i'm not sure what a coordinate vector is but here's how I would solve this:

-x6+y=6
-x2+3y=5

solving for x and y, i get [tex]x = \left(\begin{array}{c}-.8125 & 1.125 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

this is not correct and I'm not sure how to find x

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In general, if {v,w} is an ordered basis for your space, then any vector x in your space can be expressed as a linear combination of v and w, i.e. there exists numbers a and b such that x = av + bw. Then, with respect to the ordered basis {v,w}, the coordinate vector of x would be (a b)T.

Note:

[tex]\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}-6 & -2 \end{array}\right)\right]_B = \left(\begin{array}{c}1 & 0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}1 & 3 \end{array}\right)\right]_B = \left(\begin{array}{c}0 & 1 \end{array}\right)[/tex]

what was done to show that [tex]\left[\left(\begin{array}{c}-6 & -2 \end{array}\right)\right]_B = \left(\begin{array}{c}1 & 0 \end{array}\right)[/tex]?

Look at:

In general, if {v,w} is an ordered basis for your space, then any vector x in your space can be expressed as a linear combination of v and w, i.e. there exists numbers a and b such that x = av + bw. Then, with respect to the ordered basis {v,w}, the coordinate vector of x would be (a b)T.

I found a to be 1, and b to be 0, when taking x to be v, i.e. the first vector in your ordered basis.

Just reread this section of your textbook until you become more comfortable with it. Try the problems as well, but if you're still getting stuck with the basic ones, go back and reread.

1. What is the purpose of finding x in R^2 with Basis B & Coordinate Vector [x]_B?

The purpose is to determine the coordinates of a point x in a two-dimensional space, using a specific basis and coordinate vector. This allows for a more efficient and accurate representation of the point in relation to the chosen basis.

2. How is the basis B chosen in this process?

The basis B is typically chosen to be a set of linearly independent vectors that span the two-dimensional space. This means that any point in the space can be expressed as a linear combination of the vectors in B.

3. Can any basis be used to find x in R^2 with Basis B & Coordinate Vector [x]_B?

Yes, any basis can be used as long as it satisfies the requirement of being linearly independent and spanning the two-dimensional space.

4. What is the significance of the coordinate vector [x]_B?

The coordinate vector [x]_B represents the coordinates of the point x in relation to the chosen basis B. It allows for a unique representation of the point in the two-dimensional space.

5. Is this process limited to only two-dimensional spaces?

No, this process can also be applied to higher dimensional spaces, such as R^3 or R^n. However, the basis and coordinate vector used will vary depending on the dimension of the space.