Verifying Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle for Particle in Infinite Well

In summary, the conversation discusses the wavefunction of a particle in an infinite well of width L, with a superposition of two energy eigenstates. The Energy-Time uncertainty principle is applied to determine the time it takes for <x> to change by an amount σx in this case. The conversation then discusses using <x> and σx to find σE and how to apply the uncertainty principle to solve for Δt.
Gale
Consider the wavefunction: particle in an infinite well of width L, with
wavefunction given as a superposition of two energy eigenstates, with quantum numbers n=1 and m=2. Show that the Energy-Time uncertainty principle, applied to the time it takes <x> to change by an
amount σx, indeed holds true in this case.

soo, i have <x> and σx, and i guess i can find σE by doing sqrt(<E>^2 + <E^2>), i just don't see how I'm supposed to use those values for the uncertainty principle which says ΔE*Δt< hbar/2.

help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gale said:
soo, i have <x> and σx,

OK so you should have [itex]<x>[/itex] as some function of [itex]t[/itex], right? So set the problem up like this (insert the function of time you found in place of my [itex]f(t)[/itex]).

[tex]<x>=f(t)[/tex]

[tex]<x>+\sigma x=f(t+\Delta t)[/tex]

From there you are supposed to solve for [itex]\Delta t[/itex].

1. What is the Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle?

The Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely we know the energy of a particle, the less precisely we can know its time of occurrence, and vice versa. This principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

2. How does the Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle apply to particles in an infinite well?

In the case of a particle in an infinite well, the energy of the particle is quantized and can only take on discrete values. This means that the energy of the particle is known with a high degree of precision. However, since the particle is confined to a specific region, its position and therefore its time of occurrence cannot be precisely determined. This is in accordance with the Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle.

3. How is the Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle verified for a particle in an infinite well?

The Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle can be verified by calculating the uncertainties in energy and time for a particle in an infinite well. This can be done by solving the Schrödinger equation for the infinite well potential and finding the corresponding wavefunctions and energy eigenvalues. The product of the uncertainties in energy and time should be greater than or equal to the reduced Planck's constant, h-bar, as predicted by the principle.

4. Are there any experimental validations of the Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle for particles in an infinite well?

Although it is difficult to directly measure the energy and time of a particle in an infinite well due to the extremely short time scales involved, there have been indirect experimental validations of the Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle. For example, the energy levels of the hydrogen atom, which can be approximated as an infinite well, have been measured with high precision, providing evidence for the principle.

5. How does the Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle impact our understanding of the behavior of particles?

The Energy-Time Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that has significant implications for our understanding of the behavior of particles. It suggests that there are inherent limitations in our ability to measure certain properties of particles, and that there will always be a degree of uncertainty in our knowledge of these properties. This principle has also been extended to other pairs of conjugate variables, such as position and momentum, and has played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics.