Electric Field and Potential Change in a System with Equipotential Surfaces

In summary, there is an electric field that is going to be orthogonal to the equipotential surfaces. The distance between the lines is 1.78885 meters, and the direction is 243 degrees counterclockwise from the +x axis.
FlipStyle1308
Problem:

A given system has the equipotential surfaces shown below, where Vo = 12.0 V.

20-26alt.gif

(a) What are the magnitude and direction of the electric field?
(b) What is the shortest distance one can move to undergo a change in potential of 5.00 V?

I am not too sure on what equations I can use to solve this, but I have a feeling one of them will be delta V = -W/qo, and I have no other ideas on how to approach this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need trig to figure out the distance between the equipotentials. The electric field is always going to be orthogonal to equipotential surfaces. Do you know the relationship between E, V and r? Use that to find E, then use the E that you got from part a) for the last part.

Okay, so for part (a), I use E = - V/r = - 12/4 = -3? Did I interpret your post correctly?

Not quite, you need the distance between two equipotential lines, which would be along a line perpendicular to them. I think you've gone along the x axis, which is at an angle to the red lines. Use the triangle formed by the x and y axes and the line V=V0, split it into two smaller right angled triangles and look for similar angles.

Okay, I determined how to split the triangle into two smaller right triangles and found the smiliar angles, but what exactly is this telling me?

You should be able to get the distance between the equipotentials, which is your r in E=-V/r. Also, one of the angles gives you the direction of the E field.

Oh, okay, so the distance between the lines is 1.78885 m, so this is my r. So plugging this into E = -V/r = -12/1.78885 = -6.7082 V/m?

Edit: I just tried submitting this answer (both negative and positive), and both were incorrect.

Last edited:
That's odd, that's the answer I got. Have you added the direction? Does it say how many s.f. to give?

I found my mistake. The units in the chart are in cm, so I converted all values into m. This gave me a value of 670.82, which is a correct answer. I also calculated the correct answer for the direction, which is 243 degrees counterclockwise from the +x axis. I also solved part (b). Thank you for your help!

Last edited:

1. What are equipotential surfaces?

Equipotential surfaces are imaginary surfaces in space that connect points with the same electric potential. They are perpendicular to the electric field lines and represent regions of equal electric potential.

2. How are equipotential surfaces related to electric fields?

Equipotential surfaces are always perpendicular to electric field lines. This means that the electric field lines are always tangent to the equipotential surfaces. This relationship helps us visualize the electric field and understand how it affects electrically charged particles.

3. How do equipotential surfaces affect the movement of charged particles?

Charged particles will always move along equipotential surfaces. This is because they will experience no change in potential as they move along the surface. If a charged particle moves from one equipotential surface to another, it will gain or lose potential energy.

4. How can equipotential surfaces be calculated?

Equipotential surfaces can be calculated by using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is a constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. By varying the values of Q and r, we can plot a series of points and connect them to create equipotential surfaces.

5. What are the applications of equipotential surfaces?

Equipotential surfaces have many practical applications in physics and engineering. They can help us understand and visualize electric fields, calculate the potential energy of charged particles, and design and optimize electrical circuits. They are also used in medical imaging techniques such as electrocardiograms and electroencephalograms.