Yup another oh crap I don't have the book issue. EM Fields, Wangsness

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of not having the necessary textbook for a class and the request for specific problems from the textbook "Wangsness' EM Fields, 2nd ed." to be emailed to the person. The conversation also mentions the appreciation for the textbook and the urgency of the situation as the problems are due the next day. The conversation ends with the problems being emailed to the person.
schattenjaeger
Yup another "oh crap I don't have the book" issue. EM Fields, Wangsness

my elements of solid state physics book finally came in the mail but now I need my EM book

If you have it I just need the questions, the book got returned to sender so I need to wait longer for it than expected(I'm not having ANY luck with that this semester)

Anyways, Wangsness' EM Fields, 2nd ed.

1.4, 1.5, 1.6, 1.9, 1.10, 1.13, 1.15, 1.23, 1.24

I've already sent emails to classmates but they suck at checking e-mails sometimes

Hmm, that IS a lot of problems to type out, but I'd appreciate it forrrevverrrrr

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Emailing you the problems wouldn't do you any good, they refer to equations in the text by number.

I love Wangsness as a text and if I didn't I would sell it to you. I consider it to be the best text E&M text out there at junior/senior undergrad level.

Well unfortunately I'm in a jam 'cuz it's due tomorrow(I expected the book by Friday, got the oops we screwed you email on Friday, and was indisposed alllll Saturday)

if you could just e-mail them I'll try my luck without the pretty numbered equations(the vector and vector calculus and math review of chapter 1 is really similar to what's in my mechanics text's chapter it seems, I could probably figure out what I needed)e-mail's schattenjaeger@verizon.net I'll love you foreverrrrr

You're my hero!

1. What is the Wangsness condition in EM fields?

The Wangsness condition is a boundary condition that applies to electromagnetic fields at an interface between two media. It states that the tangential component of the electric field must be continuous across the boundary, while the tangential component of the magnetic field can have a discontinuity.

2. How does the Wangsness condition affect EM field solutions?

The Wangsness condition is important in solving for the behavior of electromagnetic fields at interfaces, such as between different materials or in the presence of conducting surfaces. It ensures that the fields behave in a physically realistic manner and allows for accurate predictions of the behavior of EM waves.

3. Can the Wangsness condition be violated?

Yes, the Wangsness condition can be violated in certain situations. For example, at the interface between two materials with significantly different permeabilities, the magnetic field may have a discontinuity. In these cases, special techniques such as matching layers can be used to ensure a smooth transition between the two media.

4. Is the Wangsness condition specific to a certain type of EM field?

No, the Wangsness condition applies to all types of electromagnetic fields, including static fields, time-varying fields, and waves. It is a fundamental principle in the study of electromagnetism and is essential for understanding the behavior of EM fields in various situations.

5. How was the Wangsness condition discovered?

The Wangsness condition is named after its discoverer, physicist Dean B. Wangsness, who first published his findings in 1953. Wangsness was studying the behavior of electromagnetic fields at interfaces and found that the tangential component of the electric field must be continuous, leading to the development of this important boundary condition.