Unlock the Power of Conducting Spheres: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the force of repulsion between two charged spheres. It is determined that the spheres can be treated as point charges and the equation F = K|q1||q2|/r^2 is used. After some calculations, the charge and number of electrons on each sphere is determined. The final answer is q= 1.603x10^-10 C and n = 1.00x10^9, which is a reasonable number considering the small charge of an electron.
mb85
two spheres are

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Post a thought or two on what you are thinking and then I can post my help.

All you need to do is show that you have sort of thought about how you would do this problem.

At least tell me what you think r << d suggests to you.

well i know the charge resides on the surface of the sphere.

Eo(flux) = Qenclosed
so after taking the closed derivative i end up with

E=1/4piEo Q/r^2

which is simply E = KQ/r^2

Yeah that's right for the electric field, but you are wanting to know the force of repulsion between the two charges.

Since r << d you can treat these spheres as point charges. Simply plug the numbers into Coulomb's Law using q1=q2.

Here is a hint for the second part. You know the charge of the two spheres and you know the charge of an electron (1.602*10^-19 C) so how many of those would you need for it to equal the charge on each sphere.

thats rite.

so i used F = K|q1||q2|/r^2

then i got q1 = 2.57x10^-20 C
and like u said q1 = q2

for the number of electrons...
q = ne
so i got n = 0.16

That's not quite right.

From the force equation you gave you see you are multiplying q1 by q2 and since q1=q2 you essentially have q1^2.

So take the square root of the result you got and that will be your charge.
Your equation for the number is right so just fix up the charge value and you should be set.

Ok awesome. Now i got q= 1.603x10^-10 C

n = 1.00x10^9 (seems rather large tho for the number of electrons)?

thanks for all ur help. i really appreciate it.

Yup that's it, good work. That's a reasonable number seeing as though the charge of an electron is extremely small. :smile:

1. What is a conducting sphere?

A conducting sphere is a three-dimensional object made of a material that allows electricity to flow through it easily. This material is usually metal, such as copper or aluminum. Conducting spheres are commonly used in experiments and demonstrations to study the behavior of electric charges and electric fields.

2. How is a conducting sphere different from an insulating sphere?

A conducting sphere allows electricity to flow through it, while an insulating sphere does not. This is because insulating materials, such as rubber or plastic, have electrons that are tightly bound to their atoms and are not able to move freely. On the other hand, conducting materials have electrons that are loosely bound and can easily move through the material.

3. What is the significance of using conducting spheres in experiments?

Conducting spheres are used in experiments to study the behavior of electric charges and electric fields. They can also be used to demonstrate principles such as charge distribution, electric potential, and capacitance. Conducting spheres also allow for the manipulation and control of electric charges, making them an important tool in understanding and applying electromagnetism.

4. Can conducting spheres be charged?

Yes, conducting spheres can be charged. When a conducting sphere is charged, the excess charge will distribute itself evenly over the surface of the sphere. This is known as the Faraday cage effect, where the electric field inside the conducting sphere is zero. This property makes conducting spheres useful in shielding against external electric fields.

5. How are conducting spheres used in practical applications?

Conducting spheres have a wide range of practical applications, including in electronics, power transmission, and medical equipment. They are used in the construction of capacitors, which store and release electrical energy. Conducting spheres are also used in high-voltage power lines to distribute electricity over long distances. In medical equipment, conducting spheres are used to create an electric field for therapies such as electroconvulsive therapy and deep brain stimulation.