Acceleration on incline

In summary, the problem involves a soccer ball being released from the top of a smooth incline and traveling a distance of 10 meters in 4.58 seconds. The ball's acceleration is constant and needs to be determined in m/s^2. The length of the incline is also unknown. The equation of displacement along the incline is d = 1/2*a*t^2 and can be used to solve for both the acceleration and incline length. The conversation provides guidance on how to approach the problem and solve for the unknowns by setting up equations and using given information.
Cole07
Problem:
Soccer ball released from the top of a smooth incline after 4.58 seconds the ball travels 10 meters 1 second later it has reached the bottom of the incline, the balls acceleration is constant and determine its value
(m/s^2) also need to know the length of the incline
I am posting for the first time and I hope this is ok

Tried to answer by taking 10 meters and dividing by 4.58 seconds but I was told this was wrong with no explanation

To find the incline I would use d= 1/2 a(t)^2

I am just a beginner in Physics and I am definately confused any help would be greatly appreciated to get me on the right path to solving this problem I have tried other expressions to no avail thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation of displacement along the incline is, as you stated d = 1/2*a*t^2. Now, you know what distance the ball traveled during the period of 4.58 seconds. Plug these values into the equation, and solve to retrieve the acceleration a. Now, which acceleration is causing a ball roll down an incline? Further on, which component of this acceleration is directed along the incline? You can find the angle of the incline from a simple equation based on these facts.

First of all SPLIT up the information neatly, and give names to the quantities you think is relevant!

So, names:
a-acceleration. We know of this it is a constant
d-length of incline
These are the quantities you need to find!

Info:
1. After time [itex]t_{1}=4.58[/itex] seconds, the ball has traveled 10 meters
2. After time [itex]t_{2}=5.58[/itex] seconds, the ball has traveled d meters (reached the end of the incline)

So, what equations to use??

"To find the incline I would use d= 1/2 a(t)^2"

This is perfectly okay!
But remember that that equation has TWO unknown quantities, namely d and a! (the time is known to be 5.58)

But do you agree that you equally well could use the very same equation with 10 meters substituted for d, that is the distance traveled in 4.58 seconds?

ok some of this makes since but i still don't understand if I'm doing the right thing to get the acceleration.

Well, let uss use the distance&acceleration of yours when the distance is 10, and time is 4.58!
Plug this in, and you get the equation:
[tex]10=\frac{1}{2}*a*(4.58)^{2}[/tex]
Do you agree with that?

ok that works great so how do i find how long the incline is now

Well, now that you know acceleration "a", how many unknows do you have in your distance formula when the distance is the as yet unkown length of incline?

the distance formula is d=1/2a(t)^2 right

Right, so how many unknowns do you have to tackle now?

ok i plugged this into the equation d=1/2*(0.953452451)(4.58)^2 and i get 9.999999997 but the comes up incorrect and it can't be anyway since you know you have already gone 10m isn't this right?

But is the time 4.58 when the ball has reached the end of the incline?
Think again!

ok i got it thank you so much you have been a huge help !

As you can see, you had most of it inside your head already before I answered you.

I advise you to always start with:
a) defining the quantities you are meeting in a problem
b) note which of these you are supposed to find
c) set up the information&conditions you've been given in a clear manner
and only then:
d) set up the equations you believe can help you solve the problem

Then, go through those equations checking that you have, indeed, gotten all the info you need, and that each of your unknowns appears at least once in those equations/formulae you have set up (otherwise, you won't be able to find that unknown!)

Only after this should you start actually solving your set of equations.

Last edited:

1. How does the angle of an incline affect acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it. Since the force of gravity remains constant, the angle of the incline affects the component of the force acting parallel to the incline. As the angle of the incline increases, the component of the force acting parallel to the incline decreases, resulting in a lower acceleration.

2. Does the mass of an object affect its acceleration on an incline?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect its acceleration on an incline. According to Newton's Second Law, the acceleration of an object is inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its acceleration on an incline decreases.

3. How is the acceleration of an object on an incline calculated?

The acceleration of an object on an incline can be calculated using the formula a = gsinθ, where a is the acceleration, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline. Alternatively, the acceleration can also be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where F is the net force acting on the object and m is the mass of the object.

4. What is the relationship between the coefficient of friction and acceleration on an incline?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the resistance between two surfaces in contact. On an incline, the coefficient of friction affects the net force acting on an object. A higher coefficient of friction means a greater resistance, resulting in a lower net force and therefore, a lower acceleration. Conversely, a lower coefficient of friction results in a higher net force and a higher acceleration.

5. How do you determine the acceleration of an object on an incline experimentally?

To determine the acceleration of an object on an incline experimentally, you can use a motion sensor to measure the displacement and velocity of the object as it moves down the incline. From this data, you can calculate the acceleration using the formula a = Δv/Δt, where Δv is the change in velocity and Δt is the change in time. This method is more accurate than using theoretical calculations as it takes into account factors such as friction and air resistance.