How long is Ph.D qualifying exam? How long should I take for preparation?

In summary, the length and preparation needed for a Ph.D qualifying exam varies depending on the school/program. For example, one person took a month off from research to study full-time and the exam was administered over three days with 4-8 questions in blocks. About 60% of those who took it passed. Another person studied all summer long, full-time, to pass an exam that consisted of 6 questions per day over 2 days. It is recommended to do it right the first time to avoid retaking it.
Kinn Sein
I am going to finish my Master Degree in Mechanical Engineering in next sesmester. After that, I'll move on to my Ph.D program. How long do I have to take to prepare for Ph.D qualifying exam? How long is Ph.D qualifying exam?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the school/program. As a single example, I took a month off of research to study full-time, and the test was administered over three days in blocks of 4 questions. 4 questions in 4 hours on the first day, 8 questions in 8 hours on the second, and 4 questions/hours the third. about 60% of those who took it passed.

Good luck!

/I was one of them

Really depends on the school for both aspects of this question. I had 2 days of 6 hours each (6 questions each). I studied all summer long, full time (6-10 hours a day- a little less on weekends), to pass. It is a major undertaking and you don't want to have to take it a second time. Do it right the first time and you will be much more sane.

1. How long is a Ph.D qualifying exam?

The length of a Ph.D qualifying exam varies depending on the specific program and university. It can range from a few hours to multiple days. It is best to consult with your advisor or department for the specific length of your qualifying exam.

2. How much time should I take to prepare for a Ph.D qualifying exam?

The amount of time you should take to prepare for a Ph.D qualifying exam also varies. It depends on your level of understanding of the material, your study habits, and the specific requirements of your program. It is recommended to start preparing at least 6-12 months in advance to ensure sufficient time for review and practice.

3. Can I retake a Ph.D qualifying exam if I fail?

Most universities allow students to retake a Ph.D qualifying exam if they fail. However, there may be limits on the number of times you can retake the exam. It is important to discuss this with your advisor and understand the policies of your specific program.

4. How should I prepare for a Ph.D qualifying exam?

The best way to prepare for a Ph.D qualifying exam is to create a study plan that works for you. This can include reviewing class notes, textbooks, and past exams, as well as seeking help from professors or study groups. It is also important to practice time management and stay organized during the preparation process.

5. What happens after I pass a Ph.D qualifying exam?

After passing a Ph.D qualifying exam, you will typically move on to the research and dissertation phase of your program. This may involve completing coursework, conducting research, and defending your dissertation. It is important to understand the specific requirements and timeline for your program and consult with your advisor for guidance.