Finding the Angle of Release for a Pellet on Top of a Cylinder

• Thread starter Bling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cylinder
In summary, the problem involves a 0.2kg pellet on top of a cylinder with a radius of 0.8m. The goal is to find the angle at which the pellet loses contact with the surface of the cylinder. Suggestions for solving the problem include finding the point where the normal and tangential acceleration are equal and considering the centripetal acceleration of the pellet. The normal acceleration can be found using V^2/R, and the pellet leaves when the normal force and gravity are equal. Drawing a free body diagram can help determine the maximum centripetal acceleration due to gravity at a given angle. Ultimately, the pellet leaves when the two forces are equal.
Bling
I need a little help with this problem.

There is a small 0.2kg pellet sitting on the top of a cylinder of radius 0.8m.

What is the value of the angle at which the pellet loses contact with the surface of the cylinder?

I just need a little help on how to get started with this one. I was thinking about finding the point where the normal and tangential acceleration of the pellet were equal, but wasn't sure if this was the right path.

Any other additional help would be greatly accepted.

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Bling
I just need a little help on how to get started with this one. I was thinking about finding the point where the normal and tangential acceleration of the pellet were equal, but wasn't sure if this was the right path.
First, realize that the pellet is centripetally accelerated when it follows the cylinder. Then consider that the pellet leaves the cylinder when the normal force equals zero.

I know the value of the normal acceleration is V^2/R, but how is this used to find the angle?

Also, I know how to find the velocity of the pellet at a given angle. Does this lead to the answer?

You know what the forces are:
The normal force and gravity. If you draw an FBD, you can determine the magnitude of the maximal centipetal acceleration due to gravity as a function of the angle of the pellet on the cylinder, and thus the height.

Clearly the pellet leaves when the two are equal.

What is a pellet on top of cylinder?

A pellet on top of cylinder refers to a small, solid, cylindrical object that is placed or stacked on top of a larger cylindrical container or structure.

What are pellets typically made of?

Pellets can be made from a variety of materials such as plastic, metal, wood, or compressed biomass. The specific material used depends on the intended purpose of the pellet.

What is the purpose of placing a pellet on top of a cylinder?

The purpose of placing a pellet on top of a cylinder can vary. It may be used for storage, to keep items organized, as a component in machinery, or for transportation purposes.

What factors should be considered when choosing a pellet for a specific application?

Some factors to consider when choosing a pellet include the material it is made of, its size and shape, its durability and strength, and its ability to withstand environmental conditions.

How are pellets typically manufactured?

Pellets can be manufactured through various processes such as compression, extrusion, or molding. The specific method used depends on the material and intended use of the pellet.