Using Reactions to Understand Chemistry: Examining CuI(s) Formation

In summary, the conversation discusses the reaction 2Cu2+(aq) + 4I-(aq) -> CuI(s) + I2(aq) and addresses a mistake in the equation, as well as the formation of CuI and its low solubility. The conversation concludes that the reaction is correct and interesting due to the low solubility of CuI, causing it to precipitate out as a solid.
pivoxa15
In my textbook, it had

2Cu2+(aq) + 4I-(aq) -> CuI(s) + I2(aq)

How does that work? First of all it's not balanced. It should be 2CuI(s). But how does CuI(s) form. It should be CuI+.

The book did say excess 4I- was usd to remove Ag+ since it was talking about back titrations. But the reaction as stated dosen't involve Ag. Has the book made mistakes?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
No, it's correct (except for the missing 2).

Cu(+2) is reduced to Cu(+1) and I(-1) is oxidized to I(0).

I see. Thanks

Note: this reaction is interesting as its equilibrium is moved to the right thanks to the very low solubility of CuI.

1. What is the purpose of examining CuI(s) formation in chemistry?

The purpose of examining CuI(s) formation is to understand the principles and mechanisms of chemical reactions. By studying how copper iodide (CuI) is formed, scientists can gain insight into the reactivity and behavior of different elements and compounds.

2. What is the significance of using reactions to understand chemistry?

Reactions are the fundamental building blocks of chemistry, and understanding them is crucial for understanding the natural world and developing new technologies. By studying reactions, scientists can uncover the underlying principles of chemical processes and apply this knowledge to solve real-world problems.

3. How does CuI(s) formation help us understand other chemical reactions?

CuI(s) formation is a simple and well-studied reaction, making it a useful model for understanding more complex reactions. By examining the factors that influence the formation of CuI(s), scientists can gain a better understanding of the factors that affect other chemical reactions.

4. Can the formation of CuI(s) be used to predict the outcome of other chemical reactions?

While the formation of CuI(s) itself may not directly predict the outcome of other reactions, studying its formation can provide insights into the reactivity and behavior of other elements and compounds. This knowledge can be applied to predict and understand the outcomes of different chemical reactions.

5. How can the results of studying CuI(s) formation be applied in practical situations?

The knowledge gained from studying CuI(s) formation can be applied in various practical situations, such as developing new chemical processes and materials, understanding environmental and industrial processes, and designing more efficient and sustainable technologies. It can also help us predict and prevent potential hazards or adverse effects of certain chemical reactions.