Advanced Engineering Mathematics

In summary, the conversation is about someone asking if there is a significant difference between the 8th and 9th editions of "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig. Another person suggests using the "search inside" feature on Amazon to compare the books, but the original poster ultimately decides to purchase the new edition.
Maxwell
This is a long shot, but does anyone own both the 8th and 9th edition of "Advanced Engineering Mathematics" by Erwin Kreyszig? I own the 8th edition that I used in a previous course, but another class I'm taking this semester is using the 9th of the book.

Does anyone know if there is much of a difference between the 8th and 9th editions?

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you might want to try is the "search inside" feature on Amazon. For example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471488852/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You can only look at a certain number of pages per session, but it should be enough for you to get your homework assignments out of the 9th edition while using the 8th for reference (and, while I know nothing about the books, that's probably the biggest difference between them).

I actually looked through another student's book and it was completely different. I ended up buying the new edition, sadly.

Thanks, though.

1. What is advanced engineering mathematics?

Advanced engineering mathematics is a branch of mathematics that applies mathematical concepts and methods to solve complex engineering problems. It includes topics such as differential equations, linear algebra, complex analysis, and numerical analysis.

2. Why is advanced engineering mathematics important?

Advanced engineering mathematics is important because it provides the necessary theoretical foundation for engineers to analyze and solve complex engineering problems. It also helps in the development and optimization of new technologies and systems.

3. What are some real-world applications of advanced engineering mathematics?

Advanced engineering mathematics has a wide range of applications in various fields such as aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer science. It is used to design and optimize structures, develop algorithms and models, and analyze data in various industries.

4. What skills are required to study advanced engineering mathematics?

To study advanced engineering mathematics, one should have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, calculus, and trigonometry. Additionally, good problem-solving skills, critical thinking, and attention to detail are also important.

5. How can I improve my understanding of advanced engineering mathematics?

To improve your understanding of advanced engineering mathematics, it is important to practice solving problems regularly. You can also attend lectures, workshops, and online courses to gain a deeper understanding of the subject. Collaborating with other students and seeking help from professors or tutors can also be beneficial.