Speed of satellite in circular orbit

In summary, to find the speed of a satellite in a circular orbit around Earth, the formula v=sqrt((GMe)/r) can be used. After calculating the radius of the orbit (r), the speed (v) can be determined by taking the square root of the product of the gravitational constant (G), Earth's mass (Me), and the reciprocal of the radius. The correct speed for a satellite with a period of 9.93 x 104 s and orbiting Earth (M = 5.98 x 1024 kg) is approximately 2933.27 m/s.
thatgirlyouknow

Homework Statement

A satellite is in a circular orbit about the Earth (M = 5.98 x 1024 kg). The period of the satellite is 9.93 x 104 s. What is the speed at which the satellite travels?

Homework Equations

v=(2*pi*r)/T

v=sqrt((GMe)/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

sqrt[((6.67x10^-11)*(5.98x10^24))/r) = 2*pi*r / T
T = 2piR^3/2 / (sqrt[GMe])
r = 8.414 x 10^15
v = 2*pi*r / t
v = 5.324 x 10^11 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
thatgirlyouknow said:

Homework Statement

A satellite is in a circular orbit about the Earth (M = 5.98 x 1024 kg). The period of the satellite is 9.93 x 104 s. What is the speed at which the satellite travels?

Homework Equations

v=(2*pi*r)/T

v=sqrt((GMe)/r)

The Attempt at a Solution

sqrt[((6.67x10^-11)*(5.98x10^24))/r) = 2*pi*r / T
T = 2piR^3/2 / (sqrt[GMe])
r = 8.414 x 10^15

your formula looks right but I think r is wrong... check your calculations

Ok after reworking I got that r = 46357704 m. So:

v = sqrt[(GMe)/r]
v = sqrt[(6.67x10^-11*5.98x10^24)/(46357704)]
v = 3594.51 m/s

But this still isn't right. Are my calculations wrong at some point?

Ok I worked it again and got v = 2933.27 m/s. (Hooray human error). Can anyone verify that as correct?

thatgirlyouknow said:
Ok I worked it again and got v = 2933.27 m/s. (Hooray human error). Can anyone verify that as correct?

yes, looks right to me.

What is the definition of the speed of a satellite in circular orbit?

The speed of a satellite in circular orbit is the rate at which the satellite travels around the Earth in a perfect circular path.

Does the speed of a satellite in circular orbit vary?

Yes, the speed of a satellite in circular orbit varies depending on the altitude of the orbit. Satellites in higher altitudes have a slower speed, while satellites in lower altitudes have a faster speed.

How is the speed of a satellite in circular orbit calculated?

The speed of a satellite in circular orbit can be calculated using the formula v = √(G*M/R), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and R is the radius of the orbit.

What factors affect the speed of a satellite in circular orbit?

The speed of a satellite in circular orbit is affected by the mass of the Earth, the altitude of the orbit, and the gravitational constant. Additionally, the shape and size of the Earth and any external forces, such as atmospheric drag, can also impact the speed.

What is the relationship between the speed of a satellite in circular orbit and its orbital period?

The speed of a satellite in circular orbit is directly proportional to its orbital period. This means that as the speed increases, the orbital period also increases. Conversely, if the speed decreases, the orbital period also decreases.