G: Adding a PROM to Spartan-II FPGA

• Thread starter LTDigital
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fpga
In summary, the speaker is new to the forum and introduces their current personal project of adding a configuration prom to a Digilent board with a spartan-II FPGA. They have found the VC18V02VQ44c to be the suitable prom and plan to use JTag for programming and Master Serial for configuration. They are seeking advice on any potential complications. Another member welcomes them to the forum and mentions their past experience with FPGAs and configuration proms being fairly simple.
LTDigital
Hi all,
I'm new to the forum and would like to say hi to everyone.
I'm currently working on a personal project that is as follow: I have a spartan-II FPGA that's already placed down on to a board by Digilent. This board does not come with a configuration prom. My goal is to add a prom to it. I have done some reading and found out that the VC18V02VQ44c is the one I'm going to use. I will use JTag to program the prom and then use Master Serial to configure my FPGA. The circuitry shows that I only need the 4 JTag pins, and then the 4 different pins for the serial connection. This seems way too simple. I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this stuff and there is anything I should watch out for.

Thank you

LT

Engineering news on Phys.org
It's probably 20 years since I did FPGAs with configuration proms.
As I recall it was fairly simple to hook one up.
Doubt it has gotten more complex.

Err, well except for the programming :smile:

Welcome to PF

: Hi G, welcome to the forum! Adding a PROM to a Spartan-II FPGA can definitely be a useful project. It's great that you have already done some research and found the VC18V02VQ44c as your potential PROM. As for the circuitry, it is possible that it may seem simple, but it's always important to double check and make sure all connections are correct. One thing to watch out for is ensuring that the voltage levels of the PROM are compatible with the FPGA. It's also a good idea to consult the datasheet for both the FPGA and PROM to ensure proper connections. Good luck with your project!

1. What is a PROM?

A PROM (Programmable Read-Only Memory) is a type of memory chip that can be programmed once to store data that cannot be changed. It is commonly used in electronic devices to store configuration information or code that needs to be permanently saved.

2. What is a Spartan-II FPGA?

A Spartan-II FPGA (Field-Programmable Gate Array) is a type of programmable logic device that allows for the implementation of complex digital circuits. It contains an array of configurable logic blocks and can be reprogrammed multiple times to perform different tasks.

3. Why would you need to add a PROM to a Spartan-II FPGA?

Adding a PROM to a Spartan-II FPGA allows for the storage of configuration data, such as the initial program or settings, without the need for external memory. This can save space and simplify the design of the overall system.

4. How do you add a PROM to a Spartan-II FPGA?

The process of adding a PROM to a Spartan-II FPGA involves physically connecting the PROM chip to the FPGA and programming it with the necessary data using a device programmer. The exact steps may vary depending on the specific hardware and software being used.

5. What are the benefits of using a PROM with a Spartan-II FPGA?

Using a PROM with a Spartan-II FPGA can provide a more reliable and secure system as the configuration data is stored within the chip and cannot be easily changed. It also allows for faster initialization and can simplify the overall design of the system.