Can Kinetic Energy Always Be Conserved in Elastic Collisions?

In summary, the conversation is about conservation of momentum and kinetic energy in a collision between two objects of equal mass. The attachment shows the attempt to prove that both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved in an elastic collision. The last line of the attachment shows an interesting conclusion for such a collision. However, it is important to note that conservation of momentum and conservation of energy are two separate principles and one cannot be used to prove the other.
v_pino
Dear all,

I know the equation to conservation of momentum.
How do I show that kinetic energy is always conserved if it says that the mass of the two objects are the same.

The following is the explanation I found but I don't get part of it.

The red arrow part (attached image) is where I'm stuck on.

Thanks for the help!
pino

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org
It's unclear from the attachment as to what you are trying to do. Every line but the last is just conservation of energy, so I assume you are talking about an elastic collision. The last line looks like you attempted to also apply conservation of momentum. If you keep going you'll get an interesting conclusion for an elastic collision of equal masses where one is initially at rest.

Realize that conservation of momentum and conservation of energy are two different things--you can't use one to show the other.

Hi DocAl

Thanks for the reply.

But if we take the situation of two balls of equal mass, mass B is stationary and mass A travels at velocity V. So after the collision mass A will become stationary and Mass B will travel with velocity V. Here, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved- it is an elastic collision.

Would I be able to do this? (attachment)

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 384
v_pino said:
So after the collision mass A will become stationary and Mass B will travel with velocity V.
The fact that mass A stops and mass B travels with velocity V is a consequence of momentum and energy conservation. That is what you proved in the attachment. (You assumed energy & momentum conservation and proved that [itex]V_2 = U_1[/itex].)

1. What is the definition of momentum in the context of elastic collisions?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In the context of elastic collisions, momentum is conserved, meaning the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

2. How is the conservation of momentum applied in elastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This means that the sum of the momentum of the two objects involved in the collision remains constant.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are those in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while inelastic collisions result in a loss of kinetic energy. In elastic collisions, the objects involved bounce off each other with no loss of energy, while in inelastic collisions, the objects stick together or deform upon impact.

4. How is the coefficient of restitution related to elastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity of separation after a collision to the relative velocity of approach before the collision. In elastic collisions, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1, meaning there is no loss of kinetic energy.

5. Can the law of conservation of momentum be violated in elastic collisions?

No, the law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In elastic collisions, the total momentum is conserved, meaning it cannot be violated.