Help with precal problem?

• Thread starter contender569
  • Start date
In summary: To determine the simplest form of W(\pi/2- \theta) do the same, but replace \theta with -\theta. To determine the simplest form of W(\theta) use the Pythagorean Theorem. In summary, the function W wraps the real line around the unit circle and assigns to each point (x,y) the coordinates (w(x),w(y)). The w(x),w(y) will always be the coordinates of the point (x,y) on the unit circle, provided that you have the coordinates of the point (1,0) and the angle \theta.
contender569

Homework Statement

Let W be the wrapping function and suppose f is the real function defined by:
f(theta) = d(W(0), W(pi/2 + theta)) / d(W(0), W(pi/2 - theta))

-Find domain f
-Determine whether f is even, odd, or neither
-Find the zeros of f
-Compute f(theta) in terms of cosine theta and sine theta and simplify the result until it is radical free.

"d" in the equation is the distance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Could someone help me with solving this problem? I'm aware that I should be doing this myself, but I do not understand it at all and my teacher is not good with explaining things. He doesn't tell us where we can find it in the book, so the book is of no help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you've got to show us something. Start by answering these questions:

1.) What is the definition of the wrapping function?

Note that the function value is an ordered pair. Interpret this as a pair of coordinates in the plane (on the unit circle, actually).

2.) What is [itex]W(0)[/itex] (this should be easy, once you answer #1).

3.) Can you find a pair of trig identities to simplify [itex]W(\theta + \pi /2)[/itex]?

4.) Using the distance formula, can you simplify the numerator and denominator of [itex]f(\theta )[/itex]?

Again, this should be easy once you have #1 answered, provided that you've been given a list of trig identities.

My teacher gave us something about the wrapping function, and it says that the function W wraps the real line around the unit circle, so W is called the wrapping function.

I'm not sure if I'm understanding it right, but I think since the radius of a unit circle is 1 and W wraps around the line of the unit circle, W(0) would have the coordinates (1,0).

I'm still trying to figure out #3 and 4, but could you explain what the (0) W(0) is and why exactly it has the coordinates (1,0)?

Learn precise definitions. The "wrapping function" you are talking about assigns. to the number t, the value W(t)= (x,y): where (x,y) is the point you would end at if you started at (1, 0) and measured a distance t around the unit circle. In particular, you should recognise immediately that W([itex]\pi/2[/itex])= (0, 1), W([itex]\pi[/itex])= (-1, 0), W([itex]3\pi/2[/itex])= (0, -1), W([itex]2\pi[/itex])= (1, 0) and W has period [itex]2\pi[/itex].

To determine the simplest form of W([itex]\pi/2+ \theta[/itex]) draw a unit circle, mark the point [itex]\pi/2+ \theta[/itex] on that circle (angle [itex]\theta[/itex] past (0, 1)), draw the line from that point to (0,0), draw the line from that point perpendicular to the x-axis, and use trigonometry.

1. What is precalculus and why is it important?

Precalculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry concepts that are necessary for advanced calculus. It is important because it provides the foundation for understanding and solving more complex mathematical problems in fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

2. How can I improve my precalculus problem-solving skills?

To improve your precalculus problem-solving skills, it is important to practice regularly, understand the concepts and formulas, and seek help from teachers or tutors if you encounter difficulties. You can also use online resources, such as video tutorials and practice problems, to supplement your learning.

3. What are the common topics covered in precalculus?

The common topics covered in precalculus include functions and their properties, trigonometry, logarithms and exponentials, conic sections, matrices, and vectors. It also includes topics in algebra such as polynomials, equations, and inequalities.

4. How can I approach a difficult precalculus problem?

To approach a difficult precalculus problem, it is important to first understand the problem by reading it carefully and identifying the given information and what is being asked. Then, try to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable steps and apply relevant formulas and concepts. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or graphs to visualize the problem.

5. What resources are available for getting help with precalculus problems?

There are various resources available for getting help with precalculus problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Your teacher or tutor can also provide assistance and clarification on difficult concepts. Additionally, many schools offer academic support services, such as tutoring centers, for students who need extra help with their coursework.