Information regarding wind turbines

In summary: V with wind turbine data: Name, Type, wattage, RPM, torque (in Newton meters)1.5 MW, Rotary, 1,500,000, 20,000, 716100 kW, Rotary, 19.4, 6,000, 472
kitarey
Im looking for information regarding wind turbines. A 1.5 megawatt turbine rotates at 20 rpm and requires 338 kiloNewton meters of force. A 100 kilowatt turbine rotates at 60 rpm and requires 19.4 kiloNewton meters of force. Both are gearbox driven generators.

Is there a formula that is used to determine these torques? I do not have the intellect to successfully determine this. Is more information needed in order to get the result?

Kit

Engineering news on Phys.org
kitarey said:
Im looking for information regarding wind turbines. A 1.5 megawatt turbine rotates at 20 rpm and requires 338 kiloNewton meters of force. A 100 kilowatt turbine rotates at 60 rpm and requires 19.4 kiloNewton meters of force. Both are gearbox driven generators.

Is there a formula that is used to determine these torques? I do not have the intellect to successfully determine this. Is more information needed in order to get the result?

Kit

[tex]P=T\omega[/tex]

Check out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque

power in watts=the torque in Newton meters X the angular velocity in radians per second

1 degree = (2 X pi)/360 radians

so for your wind turbines:

20rpm = 7200 degrees per minute = 120 degrees per second = 2.094 radians per second

torque = power divided by angular velocity

1.5 megawatts = 1,500,000 watts

required torque = 1,500,000/2.094 = 716,332 Newton meters = 716 kilo Newton meters

this value is just under twice that of that stated in your question so I am not sure what the value you've stated is for (possibly the torque and rpm values are from different ends of a 2:1 gearbox?). however i did the same working for the other turbine values and got 15.9 kiloNewton meters which is slightly lower than the stated value which makes sense because you need to acount for the efficiency of the generator and power losses through the gearbox etc.

iv just noticed that the value i calculated for the first turbine is in fact more than double the value stated. i don't understand at all the origins of the number you found. mabye a 3:1 gearbox with pretty bad efficiency? or the wrong number? i know nothing about wind turbines, just a bit about torque so that's all the use i can be i think.

just out of interest what's this for? if you don't mind me asking.

kitarey said:

Kit

http://www.rpc.com.au/products/windturbines/wind-book/wind4.pdf

This should explain it in detail if you feel like reading.

CS

1. What is a wind turbine?

A wind turbine is a device that converts the kinetic energy from wind into electricity. It typically consists of a large tower with blades attached to a rotor, which is connected to a generator. As the wind blows, it causes the blades to rotate and generate electricity.

2. How do wind turbines work?

Wind turbines work by capturing the energy from the wind and converting it into electricity. The blades of the turbine are designed to rotate when the wind blows, which then turns the rotor connected to a generator. The generator converts the rotational energy into electricity, which can then be used to power homes, businesses, and other structures.

3. What are the benefits of using wind turbines?

There are several benefits to using wind turbines. They are a renewable source of energy, meaning they do not deplete natural resources like fossil fuels. They also produce no emissions, making them a clean source of energy. Additionally, wind energy is cost-effective and can help reduce electricity bills for homes and businesses.

4. How much energy can a wind turbine produce?

The amount of energy a wind turbine can produce depends on several factors, including the size and type of turbine, wind speed, and location. On average, a large wind turbine can produce enough electricity to power a small town or around 500 homes.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of wind turbines?

While wind turbines have many benefits, there are also some potential drawbacks to consider. Some people may find the visual impact of large turbines to be unappealing, and they can also create noise pollution. Additionally, wind energy is not consistent and relies on strong winds, so it may not be a reliable source of energy in all locations.