Magnetic Force on Moving Charges

In summary: But anyway, in summary, to find the acceleration of the proton, given its velocity and the magnetic field at its altitude, we use the equation a = evB/m, where e is the charge of the proton, v is its velocity, B is the magnetic field, and m is its mass. This gives us an acceleration of 1.38x10^16 m/s^2. However, there may be some additional considerations regarding the direction of the magnetic force and the orientation of the proton's motion relative to the Earth's magnetic lines.
AcidicVision
A proton high above the equator approaches the Earth moving straight downward with a speed of 355 m/s. Find the acceleration of the proton, given that the magnetic field at its altitude is 4.05 X 10^-5 T.

Homework Equations

F = MA
=eVBsin?
a = evB/m

The Attempt at a Solution

a = ((1.6x10^-9C)(355 m/s)(4.05x10^-5)/(1.673x10^-27)) = 1.38x10^16 m/s^2

My attempt is pretty straight forward, but I think I am missing something. There has to be some relevance to the magnet force near the equator and the angle that the particle is moving, I think its perpendicular to Earth's magnetic lines, but I am not sure.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
AcidicVision said:
A proton high above the equator approaches the Earth moving straight downward with a speed of 355 m/s. Find the acceleration of the proton, given that the magnetic field at its altitude is 4.05 X 10^-5 T.

My attempt is pretty straight forward, but I think I am missing something. There has to be some relevance to the magnet force near the equator and the angle that the particle is moving, I think its perpendicular to Earth's magnetic lines, but I am not sure.

Hi AcidicVision! :smile:

I think you're right … assuming they mean the magnetic equator :rolleyes:

not a very good question, is it? :grumpy:

Your attempt at the solution is correct. The angle that the particle is moving with respect to the Earth's magnetic field is important in determining the strength of the magnetic force. In this case, the particle is moving perpendicular to the magnetic field, so the angle is 90 degrees and the sine of 90 degrees is 1. This means that the magnetic force will be at its maximum strength and the acceleration will also be at its maximum.

It is also important to note that the direction of the acceleration will be towards the center of the Earth, since the magnetic force is always perpendicular to the velocity of the particle. This is because the magnetic force is a cross product of the velocity and the magnetic field, which means it will always be perpendicular to both.

Overall, your solution is correct and takes into account all the relevant factors. Good job!

1. What is magnetic force on moving charges?

The magnetic force on moving charges, also known as the Lorentz force, is the force exerted on a charged particle when it moves through a magnetic field. This force is perpendicular to both the velocity of the particle and the direction of the magnetic field.

2. How is the magnetic force calculated on a moving charge?

The magnetic force on a moving charge can be calculated using the equation F = qvBsinθ, where q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and θ is the angle between the velocity and the direction of the magnetic field.

3. What happens to the magnetic force on a moving charge if the velocity changes?

If the velocity of the moving charge changes, the magnetic force will also change. The magnitude of the force is directly proportional to the velocity, so an increase in velocity will result in an increase in force, and vice versa.

4. Can a charged particle experience both electric and magnetic forces at the same time?

Yes, a charged particle can experience both electric and magnetic forces simultaneously. This is known as the electromagnetic force and is responsible for many phenomena, such as the movement of charged particles in a wire in an electric motor.

5. How does the direction of the magnetic force change if the charge is negative?

If the charge is negative, the direction of the magnetic force will be opposite to the direction of the force experienced by a positive charge. This is because the force on a negative charge is in the opposite direction of its velocity, according to the right-hand rule.