Light a light bulb with no contact?

In summary, two possible ways to light a standard light bulb without physical contact are by suspending it near a high tension wire or by using a microwave oven, although both methods are not recommended due to potential safety hazards. There is also research being done to develop wireless energy transfer technology for more efficient and cost-effective electricity generation.
BlackKnight
Hi,

Is it possible to make a standard light bulb light without any physical contact to it (appart from support)?
I seem to remember seeing such an experiment, but can't remember the details.

Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Not that I recommend doing this, but if you can find a safe way to suspend a florescent light bulb near a high tension wire you will see it light up, even if the cathode is burnt out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

Japan has an official project to deploy orbiting solar panels and transfer the energy to Earth with lasers. Currently around 40% efficiency they are spending tons of cash on getting that number higher so that it could compete cost wise with more traditional electricity generation.

Topher925 said:
Not that I recommend doing this, but if you can find a safe way to suspend a florescent light bulb near a high tension wire you will see it light up, even if the cathode is burnt out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_energy_transfer

Or (I would not recommend it either :D) put the fluorescent bulb in a microwave oven..!
I will light up...although the metal parts might spark or arc off!
(Its dangerous to put metals in a microwave oven. Dont try this, but those who have
tried had demonstrated that they will bulb will light up).

If you could induce a electromagnetic field and put it in the field, the light bulb may light up. There is also the other methods mentioned above, although I would not recommend the powerline or the microwave for obvious reasons.

1. How can you light a light bulb without making physical contact?

There are a few ways to light a light bulb without making physical contact. One method is by using electromagnetic induction, where a changing magnetic field can induce an electric current in a nearby conductor. Another method is by using radio waves to transfer energy wirelessly to the light bulb.

2. Is it possible to light a light bulb without any wires or batteries?

Yes, it is possible to light a light bulb without any wires or batteries. This can be achieved by using a phenomenon called electrostatic induction, where a charged object can induce an opposite charge on a nearby conductor, causing a flow of electrons and lighting the bulb.

3. Can you explain how a wireless power transfer system works to light a light bulb?

A wireless power transfer system uses an alternating current (AC) source to generate a changing magnetic field. This field is then picked up by a receiver coil in the light bulb, which converts the magnetic energy into electrical energy to power the bulb. This process is known as electromagnetic induction.

4. Are there any safety concerns with lighting a light bulb without contact?

There may be safety concerns with using wireless power transfer systems to light a light bulb. The high voltage and frequency used in these systems can pose a risk of electric shock if not properly designed and used. It is important to follow safety guidelines and use caution when experimenting with wireless power transfer.

5. Can a light bulb be lit without any external power source?

No, a light bulb cannot be lit without any external power source. Even in wireless power transfer systems, an external power source is needed to generate the changing magnetic field that powers the light bulb. Without any external power source, there would be no energy to transfer and the light bulb would not light up.