Will a B- in Physics Hurt Math PhD Admissions Chances?

• Admissions
  • Thread starter asdfggfdsa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Admissions
In summary, having a B- in a physics class, specifically quantum mechanics, may hurt your chances of being accepted into a math PhD program. However, the impact will depend on the type of math you are interested in, as well as the level of the program you are applying to. Retaking the class may improve your chances, but taking a different, relevant math course may also be beneficial.
asdfggfdsa
I'm applying for math PhD programs; will a B- in physics (quantum mechanics) hurt my chances (or, more generally, a bad grade in an area other than math, but which makes substantial use of math)?

Thanks,
asdfg

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it will hurt. Less than having a bad grade in a math class, but it will hurt quite a bit.

I think if your interest is in applied maths it will hurt more than if you are going into set theory or mathematical logic, in which case it has no relevance, so it shouldn't hurt you much at all. I suppose it might have some weight if you are going for analysis, but it has little to do with algebra/group theory...and so on and so forth. A B- in a quasi related subject won't kill you.

Thank you. How much would my chances be hurt if I retook the class and obtained an A (the original grade would still appear on my transcript)? I'm also applying for mid-tier schools, not the top ones.

Last edited:
How about getting an A in the next quantum class down the list (even if it ends up being a grad course), instead of retaking this one? Although this would probably be too much work for something that's not even your main subject area...

What kind of math are you thinking about?

1. Will having a B- in Physics significantly decrease my chances of getting into a Math PhD program?

It depends on the specific program and university you are applying to. Some programs may view a B- as a low grade and it could potentially hurt your chances, while others may not place as much emphasis on grades and may look at other factors such as research experience and letters of recommendation.

2. How important are grades in Physics for Math PhD admissions?

Grades in Physics are definitely important, as it is a closely related field to Mathematics. However, admissions committees also take into consideration other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. A B- in Physics may not necessarily disqualify you from admission, but it is important to have a strong overall application.

3. Can I still get into a good Math PhD program with a B- in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to get into a good Math PhD program with a B- in Physics. As mentioned before, admissions committees look at a variety of factors and a B- in one subject may not necessarily outweigh strong performance in other areas. It is important to highlight your strengths and accomplishments in your application.

4. Will a B- in Physics hurt my chances of getting funding for a Math PhD program?

Funding for PhD programs can be competitive and a B- in Physics may affect your chances of receiving funding. However, it ultimately depends on the specific program and their criteria for awarding funding. It is important to also consider applying for external funding sources and reaching out to potential advisors for research assistantship opportunities.

5. Can I retake the Physics course to improve my chances of getting into a Math PhD program?

Yes, you can retake the Physics course to improve your grade. However, it is important to consider if it is worth the time and effort, as it may not significantly impact your chances of admission. It may be more beneficial to focus on other aspects of your application, such as research experience and letters of recommendation.