Sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers

In summary, the formula for the sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers is (1/30)(n+1)(n)(2n+1)((3n^2)+3n-1). This can be justified using mathematical induction, where the inductive step is to show that S(n+1)-S(n)=(n+1)^4.
AGMS

Homework Statement

Find a formula fo the sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers

n
∑ i^4
(i=1)

Justify your work using mathematical induction

Homework Equations

so i know the formula for the sum of the cubes of the first n positive integers

k=n+1
∑ = (1^3)+(2^3)+(3^3)+...+(n^3)+((n+1)^3)= {((n+1)^2)((n+2)^2)} / (4)
k=1

I was wondering what was the proof for the sum of the quartic of the first n positive integers

The Attempt at a Solution

This is actually what I started working out and I don't know whether it is right

N
∑ i^4 = (1/30)(N+1)(N)(2N+1)((3N^2)+3N-1)
i=1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, that's right. I know it's right because I looked it up. Just like you, probably. The problem is that you have to prove it's right. Call your sum S(N). Then the inductive step (after you shown it's true for N=1) is to show S(N+1)-S(N)=(N+1)^4. Do you see why? If you see why, that's the important part.

Last edited:

What is the formula for the sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers?

The formula for the sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers is n(n+1)(2n+1)(3n^2+3n-1)/30.

Why is the sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers important?

The sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers is important in various mathematical and scientific fields, such as number theory, statistics, and physics. It is also used in the derivation of various mathematical identities and formulas.

How is the sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers related to the Bernoulli numbers?

The sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers is closely related to the Bernoulli numbers, which are a sequence of rational numbers that appear in various mathematical formulas and identities. Specifically, the sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers can be expressed in terms of the Bernoulli numbers.

What is the significance of the coefficient 30 in the formula for the sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers?

The coefficient 30 in the formula for the sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers is important because it is the product of the first four positive integers (1, 2, 3, and 4). This coefficient helps to simplify the formula and make it easier to understand and use.

Can the formula for the sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers be extended to include negative integers?

No, the formula for the sum of the fourth powers of the first n positive integers is only applicable to positive integers. Including negative integers would result in a different formula and would not accurately represent the sum of the fourth powers of the first n integers.