Why Must the Density Operator Be Hermitian? Exploring Its Physical Significance

In summary, the density operator must be hermitian because its eigenvalues represent probabilities and must be real, non-negative, and not larger than 1. This is clear from the definition of the density matrix, which involves probabilities of finding the system in different states. Additionally, the diagonal elements of the density matrix do not have any physical significance until it is diagonalized, which can be useful in solving certain equations such as the Heisenberg equation.
KFC
Hi there,
In all text of QM I have, they tells that the density operator is hermitian. But without considering the math, from the physics base, why density operator must be hermitian? What's the physical significane of the eigenvalue of density matrix?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Eigenvalues of the density matrix are probabilities. They clearly must be real, which is why the matrix must be hermitian. (In addition, they also must be non-negative and not larger than 1.)

Demystifier said:
Eigenvalues of the density matrix are probabilities. They clearly must be real, which is why the matrix must be hermitian. (In addition, they also must be non-negative and not larger than 1.)

Thanks. So before diagonalization, the diagonal elements of density matrix don't tell anything , right?

Well, I understand now how the diagonalized density matrix works. But for the following case how do I use it? For example, I have a two-level system without interaction, and hamiltonian gives

[tex]H|\Psi_n\rangle = \hbar\omega_n |\Psi_n\rangle[/tex]

Now I consider the Heisenberg equation of the density operator

[tex]\dot{\rho} = -\frac{i}{\hbar}[H,\rho][/tex]

to findout the element of [tex]\dot{\rho}_{nm}[/tex], I apply an eigenstate of H on both side

[tex]\dot{\rho}|\Psi_i\rangle = -\frac{i}{\hbar}(H\rho - \rho H)|\Psi_i\rangle
= -\frac{i}{\hbar}(H-\omega_i)\rho|\Psi_i\rangle
[/tex]

So, what is [tex]\rho|\Psi_i\rangle[/tex]? In the text, it gives

[tex]\dot{\rho}_{nm} = -i\omega_{nm}\rho_{nm}[/tex] ?

Demystifier said:

Real eigenvalues does not imply hermiticity - for example, look at "[URL Hermiticity of the density matrix follows from its definition, which is

[tex]
\rho := \sum_k p_k |\psi_k\rangle\langle\psi_k|
[/tex]

where [tex]p_k[/tex] is the probability that system will be found in the state [tex]\psi_k[/tex] (states [tex]\psi_k[/tex] can be arbitrary possible states of the system).

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Why is the density operator in quantum mechanics represented by a Hermitian matrix?

The density operator, also known as the density matrix, is used in quantum mechanics to describe the statistical properties of a quantum system. It is represented by a Hermitian matrix because it allows for the calculation of physical observables, such as energy and momentum, through the use of the expectation value. This is due to the fact that Hermitian operators have real eigenvalues, which correspond to the possible outcomes of a measurement.

2. What is the physical significance of a Hermitian density operator?

A Hermitian density operator is physically significant because it represents a system that is in a pure state. This means that the system has a well-defined quantum state and its properties can be described by a single wave function. Additionally, a Hermitian density operator allows for the calculation of the system's average values and probabilities of measurement outcomes, providing important information about the system's behavior.

3. How does the Hermiticity of the density operator relate to the conservation of probability?

The Hermiticity of the density operator is closely related to the conservation of probability in quantum mechanics. This is because the trace of a Hermitian density operator is always equal to 1, which represents the total probability of finding the system in any possible state. In other words, the Hermitian nature of the density operator ensures that the probabilities of all possible outcomes of a measurement add up to 1, satisfying the principle of conservation of probability.

4. Can a density operator be non-Hermitian?

Yes, a density operator can be non-Hermitian. However, a non-Hermitian density operator represents a system that is in a mixed state, meaning that it cannot be described by a single wave function. In this case, the system's properties are described by a statistical mixture of different wave functions, and the calculation of physical observables becomes more complex.

5. How does the Hermiticity of the density operator affect the evolution of a quantum system?

The Hermiticity of the density operator plays a crucial role in the evolution of a quantum system. This is because Hermitian operators are self-adjoint, meaning that they remain unchanged under time evolution. Therefore, the Hermiticity of the density operator ensures that the system's statistical properties, represented by the density operator, remain constant as the system evolves in time.