When an electron moves it creates a magnetic field

In summary, an electron moving creates a magnetic field, and the field is strengthened by the electron's movement according to the theory of relativity. If a proton were to move, it may be responsible for creating a gravitational field. There are other theories that explain phenomena that gravitomagnetic field accurately predicts.
Dual Op Amp
I learned that when an electron moves it creates a magnetic field. When two electrons are rotating in the opposite direction it cancels out the field, and the magnetism is gone. So, I was thinking maybe when a proton moves it causes it to create a field just like the electron, and perhaps this field could be gravity. In fact, maybe the electro-static field is created because of the electrons movement. This would be strengthened by Einstein's theory
E = MC^2. As the electron moves, it changes more into energy.
So, maybe the Earth's hot lave has single, moving protons that creates a field. If so, why would it attract other matter, unless, our protons are in spinning or in constant motion. If the protons in water was spinning the opposite direction that the Earth's protons are, then maybe that's what gravity is.
I was just wondering if I'm anywhere in the ballpark.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I honestly cannot tell you that you are incorrect, but I can say that there are other theories (in contradiction to yours) that have been developed for 100 years and encompass a great deal of phenomena that they accurately predict. Try the relativity board if you would like more success in investigating the currently accepted theory behind gravity. Try the strings, branes, and LQG to maybe get more meaningful responses regarding your suggestion.

In the way that moving charges create magnetic fields, moving masses are responsible for something known as "gravitomagnetism." I *think* you can make the following analogies:

static charge : electric field :: static mass : gravitational field
moving charge : magnetic field :: moving mass : gravitomagnetic field

Gravitomagnetism is responsible for a phenomenon known as "frame-dragging," which the Gravity Probe B is currently searching for.

I could be wrong about the above, but that is how I understand it.

I concur with TALewis, but with the slight revision that the anology breaks down for intense g-fields or fast moving masses.

I'll just note that it's not necessarily a moving electron that causes a magnetic field, but rather any moving charge, whether it's + or -, so protons are included.

And gravity happens between any two masses. It can be measured between two identical steel balls for instance.

hai can you please justify the mattress theory suggested by einstein.how can space bend just like a mattress?

bhanukiran said:
hai can you please justify the mattress theory suggested by einstein.how can space bend just like a mattress?

I assume that you are referring to the rubber sheet analogy. It gives a misleading idea.

Usually,in the example,a bowling ball is placed on a sheet which makes a dent . But what actually causes the dent is the weight of the ball(gravity itself). So,this is contradictory situation...gravity causes gravity!. To really appreciate the effect you have to understand the math behind general relativity. Moreover this is not just space being warped, but spacetime(four dimensions instead of the two in the sheet).

Right!

Another analogy is that there's a curved sheet with an ant on it in the middle of space. The theory says that the ant follows the curve, but in reality the ant would simply float straight over the curve.

if you take the Sun in your hand and shake it, the Earth will feel it only after 7 minutes or so elapsed. This is a gravitational wave. Please, just believe it, don't try it :wink:

1. How does an electron create a magnetic field?

When an electron moves, it creates a magnetic field around it. This is because electrons have a property called spin, which is a form of angular momentum. When an electron moves, its spin creates a tiny magnetic field that interacts with the magnetic fields of other electrons, causing a magnetic field to form.

2. Does every moving electron create a magnetic field?

Yes, every moving electron creates a magnetic field. However, the strength of the magnetic field depends on the speed and direction of the electron's movement. The faster the electron moves, the stronger the magnetic field will be.

3. How does the direction of an electron's movement affect the magnetic field it creates?

The direction of an electron's movement is directly related to the direction of the magnetic field it creates. When the electron moves in a straight line, the magnetic field is circular and perpendicular to the direction of movement. When the electron moves in a curved path, the magnetic field is more complex and its direction is constantly changing.

4. Can an electron's magnetic field be manipulated?

Yes, an electron's magnetic field can be manipulated. This is the basis of technologies such as electromagnets and magnetic storage devices. By controlling the movement and direction of electrons, we can control the strength and direction of the resulting magnetic field.

5. How is an electron's magnetic field related to electricity?

An electron's magnetic field is closely related to electricity. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This is because the movement of electrons in the wire creates a magnetic field, as we discussed earlier. This relationship between electricity and magnetism is known as electromagnetism and is a fundamental principle in physics.