Bus simulation in excel, exponential distribution departure

In summary, the bus service between points A and B operates with a headway that follows a negative exponential distribution with a parameter of 10 trips per hour. To simulate the average headway for 5 hours, one must use the formula f(x)=lamda*exp(-lamda*x) and multiply the parameter by 5. Using the Poisson distribution, probabilities can be generated for 5 hour bus journeys and a rule for simulation can be created.
AGS

Homework Statement

The bus service operates between points A and B. The buses depart from the terminal station A with headways that follow the negative exponentioal distributiona with parameter 10 trips per hour.
Assume that the characteristics of the system remain the same over time (not time dependent). Run simulation for 5 hours and find the average headway in each of the 5 hours.

So what I am having trouble with is the exponential distributed departure for each bus.

Homework Equations

no eq. given

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that the formula to work with is
f(x)=lamda*exp(-lamda*x)
Im little confused if lamda is 10 or 10/60=1/6 but it 1/6 makes more sense to me since I think the mean (mui=expected value) headway is 6 minutes and lamda=1/mui.
Im using excel and used the randbetween(0,35) to give me random x and than I plotted it and got a plot that looked ok. I also tried with lamda=10 but than I used rand() that gives random number between (0,1).
My problem is that I don´t know how to use this information to get random exponential distrebuted headways for each bus!
Should I maby use the inverse? T=-lnU/lamda (use rand() to get U)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hey,

Given that you have time constraint, parameter [tex]\lambda[/tex] and that that the bus journeys are discrete I think u will have to use Poisson distribution to generate the probabilities, however, You must not forget to multiply the parameter by 5 as your simulation is going to take 5 hours. Once this is completed one can generate probabilities for 5 hour bus journeys and create a rule for simulation.

1. What is bus simulation in excel?

Bus simulation in excel is a method of using Microsoft Excel to model and analyze the operations of a bus system. It involves creating a spreadsheet that simulates the arrival and departure times of buses, as well as other factors such as passenger boarding and alighting times.

2. What is exponential distribution departure?

Exponential distribution departure is a statistical model used to describe the time between events that occur at random intervals. In the context of bus simulation, it is used to determine the time between when a bus arrives at a stop and when it departs from the stop.

3. Why is bus simulation important?

Bus simulation allows transportation planners and operators to test and evaluate different scenarios and strategies for improving the efficiency and reliability of a bus system. It can help identify potential issues and inform decision-making processes for route planning, scheduling, and resource allocation.

4. What data is needed for bus simulation in excel?

The data needed for bus simulation in excel includes the bus schedule, passenger demand, and other relevant factors such as traffic conditions and boarding/alighting times. This data can be obtained from historical records, surveys, or field observations.

5. What are the benefits of using excel for bus simulation?

Excel is a widely used and easily accessible software that allows for quick and flexible modeling of bus operations. It also has built-in statistical functions that can be used to analyze the simulation results. Additionally, excel allows for easy visualization of the data, making it a useful tool for communicating the findings to stakeholders.