How is the Determinant of a Matrix Affected by Row Operations?

In summary, the determinant of a matrix A can be expressed in terms of a new matrix B, constructed using n different row operations of the form a_kR_i + R_j -> R_i. The formula is given by |A| = |B| * prod^n_{k=1} (1/a_k), where each scalar can be pulled out as a factor due to linearity. This is due to the multilinearity of the determinant over the rows of the matrix.
epkid08
If I have a matrix [tex]A[/tex], and I use [tex]n[/tex] different row operations of this form: [tex]a_kR_i + R_j \rightarrow R_i[/tex] to construct a new matrix [tex]B[/tex], what is the determinant of [tex]A[/tex] in terms of [tex]B[/tex]?
Solved!

[tex]|A|=|B|\prod^n_{k=1}\frac{1}{a_k}[/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not entirely. Write B out in terms of the rows of A, then use the multilinearity of the determinant over the rows of the matrix.

[tex]B_i = a_kA_i + A_j[/tex]

I'm not sure what you mean when you say:
then use the multilinearity of the determinant over the rows of the matrix.

epkid08 said:
[tex]B_i = a_kA_i + A_j[/tex]

I'm not sure what you mean when you say:

If we write A as a list of rows: A1,...,Am, where the Ai is the ith row of the matrix A, we know that det(A1, ..., r*Ai+Aj, ..., Am) = r*det(A1, ..., Ai, ..., Am) + det(A1, ..., Aj, ..., Am) for all scalars r and each Ak. That is, the determinant is a linear operator with respect to each row; it is multilinear.

Wow, after a week of looking for it, I found what I was doing wrong, and it turns out it was just a stupid mistake.

The actual formula to the problem in my first post should be:

[tex]|A|=|B|\prod^n_{k=1}\frac{1}{a_k}[/tex]

I assume that's what you were trying to hint at slider142?

Yep. Each scalar can be pulled out as a factor due to linearity, while the second determinant in the sum vanishes, so you end up with the product of each scalar multiplied by the original determinant.

What is Determinant 2?

Determinant 2 is a mathematical concept used to describe a specific property of square matrices. It is denoted by det(A) or |A| and is calculated by summing the products of elements in the matrix according to a specific pattern.

What is the significance of Determinant 2?

Determinant 2 is used in linear algebra to determine the invertibility of a matrix, as well as to solve systems of linear equations and calculate area, volume, and other geometric properties.

How is Determinant 2 calculated?

There are a few different methods for calculating Determinant 2, including the cofactor expansion method, the row reduction method, and the LU decomposition method. The specific method used depends on the size and complexity of the matrix.

What is the relationship between Determinant 2 and eigenvalues?

The eigenvalues of a matrix can be calculated using the determinant, as they are the values that satisfy the equation det(A - λI) = 0. Additionally, the determinant can be used to determine whether a matrix has any repeated eigenvalues.

What are some real-life applications of Determinant 2?

Determinant 2 has various real-life applications, such as in computer graphics, physics, economics, and statistics. It is also used in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and biology to solve problems involving matrices and linear equations.