Differential Equations Tank problem

In summary, at time 0 the tank has 10 lb of salt dissolved in 100 gallons of water. The tank is draining at a rate of 1 gal/min, so the salt will be drained in 4 hours.
SpiffyEh

Homework Statement

The problem states that at time 0 the tank has 10 lb of salt dissolved in 100 gallons of water. The capacity is 200. Assume that water containing 1/8 lb of salt per gallon is entering the tank at a rate of 2 gal/min and the mizture is draining from the tank at a rate of 1 gal/min.
a) set up the initial value problem
b)solve using method of integrating factors.

Homework Equations

t:time
y: amount of salt in tank (lbs)
v:volume of water (lbs)
v(t) = 100+t

The Attempt at a Solution

a) for the equation dy/dt = 1/4 - y/(100-t) y(0) = 10
b) *this is where i think I'm messing up...

dy/dt +(1/(100-t))y = 1/4

[tex]\mu[/tex](t) = [tex]e^{\int\frac{1}{100-t}dt}[/tex]

[tex]e^{-ln|100-t|}[/tex] = [tex]e^{ln|100-t|^{-1}}[/tex] = [tex](100-t)^{-1}[/tex]

= [tex]\frac{1}{100-t}[/tex]

so i multiply through and get

([tex]\frac{1}{100-t}[/tex] * y)' = [tex]\frac{1}{4(100-t)}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{100-t}[/tex] * y = [tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{4(100-t)}[/tex]dt
[tex]\frac{1}{100-t}[/tex] * y = ln|4(100-t)| +C
then solving for y
y = (100-t)*(ln|4(100-t)| +C)

This doesn't seem right to me for some reason, I just want to make sure I'm doing this problem right. Can someone please let me know? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi SpiffyEh! :smile:
SpiffyEh said:
… v(t) = 100+t

a) for the equation dy/dt = 1/4 - y/(100-t) y(0) = 10

[tex]\frac{1}{100-t}[/tex] * y = ln|4(100-t)| +C

Technique looks fine, but

i] shouldn't it be 100+t ?

ii] your 4 should be outside the ln :wink:

oops, sorry yeah it should be plus t. Should it be outside the ln? or should i just multiply the values by 4?

SpiffyEh said:
oops, sorry yeah it should be plus t. Should it be outside the ln? or should i just multiply the values by 4?

(just got up :zzz: …)

Not following you :redface: … aren't they the same? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
(just got up :zzz: …)

Not following you :redface: … aren't they the same? :confused:

yeah, i just thought it would be easier to multiply it through

with the initital condition i got c = 1/10 - ln400
so.. the whole equation is...
y(t) = (100+t)*(ln|400+4t|+1/10-ln400)

does that look right?

Last edited:
Nooo :redface:

your integrating factor was for 100 - t.

Now it's 100 + t, the integrating factor is completely different.

tiny-tim said:
Nooo :redface:

your integrating factor was for 100 - t.

Now it's 100 + t, the integrating factor is completely different.

it was supposed to be 100+t, i accidently changed it in the middle of all the equations

1. What is the "Differential Equations Tank Problem"?

The Differential Equations Tank Problem is a classic problem in mathematics where a tank is being filled with water at a certain rate and draining out at a different rate. The goal is to find the equation that represents the water level in the tank over time.

2. How do you solve the "Differential Equations Tank Problem"?

The problem can be solved using differential equations and integration. First, we set up a differential equation that represents the rate of change of the water level in the tank. Then, we use integration to find the equation for the water level over time. Finally, we can solve for the unknown constants using initial conditions.

3. What are the key concepts involved in solving the "Differential Equations Tank Problem"?

The key concepts involved in solving the problem are differential equations, integration, and initial conditions. Differential equations are used to represent the rate of change of the water level, integration is used to find the equation for the water level over time, and initial conditions are used to solve for the unknown constants.

4. What are some real-life applications of the "Differential Equations Tank Problem"?

The "Differential Equations Tank Problem" has various real-life applications, such as predicting the water level in a tank in industrial processes, modeling the spread of diseases in a population, and understanding the dynamics of chemical reactions in a solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving the "Differential Equations Tank Problem" more efficiently?

One tip for solving the problem more efficiently is to first identify the type of differential equation involved, whether it is separable, linear, or nonlinear. This can help determine the most appropriate method for solving the problem. Additionally, breaking the problem into smaller parts and using substitution or elimination techniques can also make the problem more manageable and easier to solve.